Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tell me about my truck (Pictures)

As the title reads I want to find out more information about my truck. I have a 1978 Explorer Limited Edition, I bought the truck from the original owner with 75,000 original miles. I6, 4x4, factory a/c, 4 speed. The truck has no rust, no dents, paints just faded a little. Interior is amazing with a slight tear on the seat, but its on a seam, and one door panel has a slight crack, otherwise mint.

Is this a rare package? Did they make many?
Does anyone on here have one?
Has anyone restored one back to the factory look?

Here is a brochure photo I found online

add.jpg

Here is my actual truck

IMG_0848.JPG

I have the original hub caps that came with it but the previous owner put some black steel 15x10s on it so I dumped those and put 87-91 steel wheels/center caps/beauty rings on with some 31x10.50s, and added cab lights. Only picture I can find with the new wheels has my car in the way but you get the idea

IMG_0847.JPG

Conveniently I was building a 351w before I bought the truck, the I6 ran awesome, but once I finished the 351 I put it in. Headers, true duals, 40 series flowmasters

IMG_0846.JPG

So anyways where I am getting with all of this is I want to repaint the truck and having a hard time deciding what to do, here are my 3 options:
1. Completely factory colors and stripes
2. Different shade of green, same stripes with the colors varying from factory some
3. Or green and white two tone

How many of these there actually are will help me decide what I want to do I guess.

Thanks guys!

JMM

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
1. That engine looks hawt!

2. I like the direction you're headed with the truck so far

3. I wouldn't say that the Explorer package is rare (couldn't really say, not sure of the production numbers), but it is hard to find one still wearing its original stripe package.

4. Would the stripes be painted on? (If you chose that route)

1. That engine looks hawt!

2. I like the direction you're headed with the truck so far

3. I wouldn't say that the Explorer package is rare (couldn't really say, not sure of the production numbers), but it is hard to find one still wearing its original stripe package.

4. Would the stripes be painted on? (If you chose that route)

Thank you! The 351 isn't to crazy, factory heads ported and polished w/ chevy big block stainless valves, bored .030 over, elbrock intake, holley 650 carb, serpentine belt set up, mild cam, it's just a really good smooth runner and I know will last me a long time

If I did the factory stripes I would paint them on, and I always thought it would be pretty cool to paint the stripes into the door jams too for a clean look

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I would stick with the factory colors...that engine looks great.

I really like the color and stripe combination on your truck. I myself would stick close to the original Explorer scheme when it comes time to repaint. No matter what you decide, it looks and sounds like a nice one that has found a good home.:)

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I don't know production numbers or anything like that, but i do know i haven't seen to many "limited editions"
Or maybe i have and just didn't realize they were LE?

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Your doing great !! I also like the direction your heading...not many like this anymore..keep on the originality side imo...

Very nice truck!! I too would stick with the factory paint and stripes. Your engine rebuild gives me ideas...
Did you get the factory wiring harness for the cab lights? Great that you added them, I did the same on my truck.

What kind of ideas? If you have any questions let me know. For the cab lights I bought them through LMC and bought their harness, tossed the toggle switch it came with and wired them into the running lights.

cab.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wouldn't call the package rare...with hundreds of thousands of these trucks built...nothing is really 'rare'. What I would say is rare, is finding such a good original truck.

primetime

sawmill slave
Count me in for keeping the paint original style. It helps separate it from all the other 73-79 trucks out there.

I like your thinking on the serpentine belts. By the sounds of your post you have it running and have already figured out the differences in the water pump outlet port shapes.

The 64 Caddy rocks! My grandpa had a Coupe Deville when I was young, and it`s one GM car that I`d like to have.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
My truck was originally an Explorer with a very similar tape stripe (the one for '79) and the same green when new. The previous owner was the one to take it to the green and white tu-tone. So, here's an example of what your truck would look like if you chose that option.

I love the tu-tone on it now, but I've often been tempted to take it back to original when it comes time to paint it. Still thinking on that one. Since yours is original now, I'd vote to keep it that way.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts