Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tapping under load

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I think what Mark is saying is that since you're experiencing the problem when climbing hills but not revving in Park, maybe the issue has to do with something moving when the truck is pointed up a steep hill.

OK, thanks Ian. I will try it although it will do it on a fairly level surface also. It seems to be affected by being under load like acceleration. Today I noticed it wasn't consistent but is there much more often than not. I did pull the cover from the flywheel yesterday looking for any obvious marks or damage and didn't notice anything unusual.

Best I could describe it is something getting into the fan. Like it was ticking something lightly then moving away from it, but there is nothing even remotely close to it.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Had one more idea on my old 352 the dipstick would hit the crank and make a tickin sound that bugged the hell outta me till I pulled out the dip stick and saw it was all buggered up. Check yours for any damage. If its been doin it for very long it wont be hard to tell if its been hittin or not.

Thanks Dan, I'd heard of that before but had forgotten it. That isn't it here though. It just started after putting in a new starter. From in the cab it sounds like it's down there too but can't really tell. I'll yank it tomorrow but don't expect to find anything.

The dipstick story reminds me of when I installed a 390 crank in a 360 motor except mine was probably noisier. :)

I'll see what I can do then. Thanks a lot for your time Dan. I'm off to bed now. Getting late. I appreciate everyone's input here and hope I can help some others in the future.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I wonder maybe if his drive shaft is getting a little wobble in it under load??

Just got back to it today for a bit. I pulled the starter and the gear has had a little chewed off the end where it meets the ring gear. Also can see some metal in the opening for the starter. Apparently somehow the two are meeting when it's under load. I have cranked the motor around using a block of wood to check if the ring gear was warped before and it showed to be true. Saw no loose nuts either. I don't get it but am 99.9% certain that's where the noise is coming from.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah that would definitly make a noise but the only thing I can think of that would do that is the starter itself bein loose and chewin up the gears. I just pulled the starter off my 72 and its been loose and it chewed up the ring gear and the starter gear. Ive had to tighten it once so I think they have a tendancy to shake loose again over time unless ya crank em down. Try puttin it back in and get some grade 8 bolts that are the same size then tighten it down as tight as ya can.

You were close Dan. I'd checked the starter at the first and it was tight. The only thing a neighbor and I could figure was that the Bendix was slipping into the gear under acceleration. It didn't feel loose but couldn't do it any other way. I took the starter in and replaced it. Before installing the new one I looked at the Bendix on it and it was flopping around loose. The parts store had one more so I went back to town and got it. That one was good and fixed the problem. I had problems with starters for the truck quite a few years ago but those had a different problem. Hopefully this will save someone else the aggravation I had this time. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. I plan to be around to help someone with their situation if I have any useful suggestions.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts