Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

tailgate wont shut.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok the other day i swapped out the light bulbs in the rear so obviously i had the tailgate down. well i tried to put it back up and it wouldnt go back up. so i was thinking it was frozen. so today it got above freezing and just tried to shut it. NADDA!!! so idk. tried some liquid wrench to maybe loosen it. nothin still.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Do the little "latches" on both sides move in and out freely?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Pop the panel and spray everything that looks like it should move with Liquid wrench, then gently "work" the moving parts until they free up.

*Check for anything that looks broken, disconnected, or jammed inside there, too...I've never had one come apart on me, but I know people who have.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
This may sound stupid, but did you check to see if the latches got closed? That happens on my tailgate. I have to pull the handle and release the latches with my finger before closing it.

Blade

Backwoods boy
this little lady didnt happen to sit on it did she
Picture001copy.jpg

:p

Blade

Backwoods boy
but u would have to venture into the land of cold bell county. and i couldnt help my self, when i seen the title i knew exactly what i was gonna post :p

If your latches close while open, check the spring on the hook (latches) they may be broken or slipped off. They are what holds the hooks open until you close the tailgate. Hope this helps.

Ford Truck Articles