Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tailgate removal.....

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
Maybe im missing something....

I built some ramps to get my 6x6 into the back of my 77 F250, i got the tailgate spreaders off but i couldnt get the tailgate itself off. (I wasnt super comfortable driving 750-800lbs onto the tailgate).....

I know usually you just undo the straps and lift it and lift one side and slide the other...but this doest seem to be the case....???

I feel like an idiot but help please...lol

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There is a full circle retainer on one side of the gate and a 1/2 one on the other side...I can't remember which side is which...but you have to get it in the right spot, then pull that side out, then slide it over a bit and pull it off.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
IIRC, the half is on the passenger...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I didn't think Dents had the half circle to lift the gate off.

Pretty sure Mark...I don't really have access to mine to see though.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I know mine did, because I had to fool with it for a while to get it off.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
You are right Mark....I just went and looked..both sides are full circle...hmm....I wonder how I got it off :scratch:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You are right Mark....I just went and looked..both sides are full circle...hmm....I wonder how I got it off :scratch:

I'm with you...I remember it wasn't very difficult, but I can't for the life of me remember how I get them to come off. I know the 'straps' come off...and that drops the tailgate...but after that, I can't remember.

Fellro

Staff member
That is the only way I know, take the two bolts out of one and then it can come off. My old man did that with the 79 we had, and it never went back on... Now if you want to modify it to be easier to do next time, get the passenger side unit from a 80-up and replace the full circle, and cut a notch at the dead bottom of the gate, and you will be able to take it off like the newer trucks.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
How much weight is the tailgate rated for?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
who throws a shoe?!

or steals a tailgate.....:nono:

If you've got a Mercury Tailgate, you'd better weld those bolts on! Mine is rusted to chit, so I don't worry as much... We'll see how I feel after I spend 20 hours cutting and piecing it back together. :p

The easiest way to remove a tailgate from a dent that I have found is this:
With the tailgate up, remove the the lower right bolt from the hinge.
Lower the tailgate and loosen the upper top right bolt from the hinge.
Manuever the tailgate up/down to raise and disconnect the linkage (be sure to store them up and out of the way).
Lower the tailgate and finish removing the upper right hinge bolt.
Raise the right side of the tailgate up enough to clear the bed and remove it.
Putting it back is basically the reverse order. Once you get the left side in and raise the right side to clear the body enough to lower it back in insert th top bolt as much as you can with your fingers, hook up the linkage, raise the tailgate, insert the lower bolt and tighten them both back up. I've done this by myself about 4 times this past month...

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts