Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Swapping 2.9 for 2.3 90BII

OK fellas,
Before you ask why I want to pull the 2.9L in my 90 BII 4x4 and replace it with a 2.3L is
because it's a 2.3 out of a Turbo Coupe.

I have the opportunity to pickup an entire Turbo Coupe for next to
nothing, that's the complete car and yes it is running.

What am I facing in this swap, I was told the trans for one thing because of what will bolt to the motor and
the transfer case.

Is this going to be a nightmare and if so should I go with a 4.0?
This isn't my daily driver but I do depend on it and can't have it in the garage for an extended length of time,
Momma won't like her new bike sitting outside very long nor will I want mine there either.

Thanks,
Dave

I have never done an engine swap on one. I know of several rear wheel drive rangers with the 2.3 turbo engine. I have never heard of it being done on a 4X4.

Is the bell housing bolt pattern the same from the 60 degree V6 to the inline 4? I have my doubts aboout that, but I will let the pros answer that one.

I do know of several 4X4s running the 4.0 SOHC engine, but again...I have never done the swap.

It used to be that the 302 was the most popular swap. Jeg's sells kits for around $300 with just about everything you would need. Engine mounts, headers, and all sorts of other stuff.

That is what my brother has planned for my old 89 ranger. Only he wants the 5.0 H.O. version.

Brian I had thoughts of doing a 302 swap when I first bought the truck
but would not be cost effective besides if I want a 302 I also have a fullsized.
The T-Coupe is costing me an 81 Honda NightHawk that I haven't ridin in about 2 years and a few dollars. The price was 500 bucks, but if its going to be a real PITA I'll keep the coupe and do something else with the truck.

Oh titling in MD would be a real bear also.

I just thought of something. :redface:

Wasn't the regular 2.3 used in a few of the ranger (4X4) fleet vehicles? I know it was in some of the 2WD ones.

If it was in the 4X4s...you might have to find one of them to get the transmission out of for your swap. It would have the correct bell housing (if the blocks are different) and would bolt to your T-case.

So...even if your trans won't bolt up (hopefully somone else will know)...the swap can be done. You might just have to find one of the I4 4X4 transmissions to make it work.

Cool...I have never seen that swap done before.

Even if you have to find a different tranny I say go for it, that be a cool little swap. jmho

Edit - IIRC the 4 poppers have the same bolt pattern as a 5.0 they just cant handle the extra tq.

Last edited:
Even if you have to find a different tranny I say go for it, that be a cool little swap. jmho

Edit - IIRC the 4 poppers have the same bolt pattern as a 5.0 they just cant handle the extra tq.

Are you saying the 2.3 does have the same pattern as a 5.0, if so then depending on lenght and what have you an AOD off a 302 could work.
I have one of them. It needs to be rebuilt but is useable if for nothing else a mockup. I can gut it so it's lighter.

Ok I was a little off the 5 spds have the same botpattern the autos don't. ... http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0206_fox_mustang_v8_swap/v8_conversion_rear.html

You must swap the four-cylinder's five-speed for one from a V-8. Thefour- cylinder five-speed (bottom) has a lower First gear, but that'snot the problem. The gears and teeth in the four-cylinder's five-speedare smaller, and in general parts inside are downsized. The V-8five-speed is stronger. Five-speeds for V-8s generally cost from $400 to$500 used. Note: A V-8 also requires a V-8 automatic, either an AOD or aC4. The four-cylinder automatic will not fit a V-8. Shifters are thesame between these transmissions.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Ok here goes
The 2.9 and the 2.3 have different bell housing patterns.
They made alot of the 4 wheel drive 2.3 lima motor, I have one.
you will just need to find a tranny and flywheel for the 2.3 the 2.9 the pilot bearing is in the crank where the 2.3 is in the flywheel.
The down side to having the turbo setup in a 4x4 is low torque they produce. the turbo really doesn't help untill it is spooled up this setup is really only good for trying for high spped to do a mud bog.
the 4.0 is a better swap for a 4x4 that is used off road.
Now in a 2wd street truck the turbo set up is a sweet swap.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts