Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Swaping 5.8 E4OD in Place of 5.0 AOD

Well, a couple of weeks have passed since I posed my question about the issues I may face by installing a 1993 5.8 351W with a E4OD in place of my original 5.0 302 with AOD in my 1992 F150 2wd pick em up.
I have not had as much time to spend on it as I would have liked to but, I have made some progress. The overall swap went as expected. I had most of what was needed to make the swap from the donor truck.
Of course if I knew then what I know now, I would of been ALL OVER that wiring and computer from the donor, before it got away from me.
I located a computer and wiring harness from a wrecking yard in Tacoma, WA. About 75 miles away. The guy at the wrecking yard did a good job of removing the harness and computer from a 92 F 150 XLT A4OD 5.8 truck(a cash for clunkers victim). Considering the labor involved, the fact it includes the fuse/relay box headlight wiring, and the computer I thought that a flat out price of $100.00 was a real deal.
As a side note, it sure looked silly to have all of those late model, "clunkers", (even Mustangs), there getting stripped. The 92 truck my harness came out of was nicer than my truck. They'll never buy me off on some phoney gvt deal like that one. I won't attempt to get on that subject of social engineering with the taxpayers' money here.
Anyway, I guess I will sign up with an on line information service, (Alldata), to get the specifics that I need when I set down with both harnesses and computers, to make the transition. I guess that I saved the worst for last. It would of been a bit easier to do before I set the motor in but, time constraints dictated otherwise. I did not get the dash wiring, still holding out for the hopes that I can dodge that bullet. I am replacing the dash with a gray one that I picked up with the rest of my gray interior swap, as part of the interior rehab. If I have to change it, that will be the time to do so.
It does run with the 302 computer but, I won't take it out of the yard till it gets the right computer in it. It will be a couple a weeks before I get a chance to attack that. In summary I will try to get that part accomplished with the trans. wiring, the engine and front chassis wiring, and the computer....we shall see if there are any surprises.
If all is well at that time, it comes apart down to the cab to be changed from blue to 1994 Ford truck Crimson Red base coat clear coat. I will paint the box, doors, and fenders off of the truck and install the new gray interior at that time. Yea, painting it in pieces is the long way around but, I do all of my serious restorations that way. I might as well be just as serious with my old pick em up. I ordered a Crimson Red/gray int. F 150 XLT new in 94. My goal is to make the same truck... today.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Well sounds great . Good luck on the parts find. and truck redo.

As for clunkers . Well here if a 9 gen was traded its was a rust bucket as most r . And if yo can get parts its a good thing .

Thanks Lost. Naw, that was the sad part. Yhe truck was about a 7 when they sentenced it to the crusher. Well, the silver lining to that is that I not only got the harness and the computer, I bought the almost new AC components and a list too long to write of parts for another $150.00. I just hate to see good American iron go to the crusher. Getting the parts that I needed from the truck did make it a little more palatable.
I just don't let my guard down. If the "Naderites" had their way.... our trucks would be in the bone yard and we would all be driving Hyundai Sonadas pulling little tin trailers we bought from Costco.
This truck as a "Clunker", just struck a nerve with me. It is even the Crimson Red that I am painting mine. What a waste of iron.

Well, a couple of weeks have passed since I posed my question about the
issues I may face by installing a 1993 5.8 351W with a E4OD in place of my
original 5.0 302 with AOD in my 1992 F150 2wd pick em up.
Of course if I knew then what I know now, I would of been ALL OVER that
wiring and computer from the donor, before it got away from me.
Oh heck, I didn't see your other thread. :/ (still haven't)

First thing I thought of when seeing the title of this thread was how the
E4OD is wired up to the computer and the AOD ain't.

Funny. :) But it was just a couple years ago I didn't know nuthin about
-any- of this stuff! LOL :)

Spends too much time reading in AZ
ps- www.car-part.com (worked for me on the intake Y pipe :)

Hi Alvin.
Well, I finally found someone with a memory shorter than mine. My memory is good it is just that it is very short. According to the history on my original thread,(4/29 or so). You did read it, you even responded. :) That is OK, I do the same thing after reading so much of the forum...one forgets. In a nutshell, the main issue that I was dealing with was the lack of E4OD wiring existing in my 1992 AOD 302 F 150. This problem is now remedied by getting the computer and engine compartment side of the wire harness from a 1992 F 150 "cash for clunkers" vehicle at a wrecking yard in Tacoma, WA for the reasonable price of $100.00.
The truck was a real find for other parts as well. I think I already listed the other jewelry that I acquired in the same trip. I still need to put in a dash mounted on/off toggle for the OD but a simple 2 wire job on that. I was able to use the engine harness that came with the donor 351. With a fresh set of plugs and cap and eliminating the cat on the 351W I sure have a lot more power. Plus the 302 was a tired pup, anyway, and the AOD slipped.
I can use it as a truck for a short while. I need to finish the paint jobs on a 69 Corvette and a 68 Z/28 Camaro....Then the rebirth begins. All perfect grey insides headliner to dash to carpets. Replacing the box, doors, fenders with perfect pieces, a gollon and a half of new paint Crimson Red base coat clear coat, CD,Sub,speakers, and 2 amps. New windshield is setting there, and a nicer set of the XLT polished aluminum wheels with 31.5 X 10.5 rubber. I have been gathering parts for a while. Can not wait to do it to it!!
Oh, and I located the wiring and computer needed with the help car part.com.

Thanx Fellas

I should also add a thank you to Truckin4life, Conaski, and Lost for getting me started off on the right track to handle this swap! This site really has some good guys who are a big help. Oh, the other real find is RADIO FREE TEXAS.

God Bless Texas..........and Willie

Thanks again
Allen

Thanx Don, But, no schematics are necessary, she runs and shifts...all is wired in with the computer and wires from the wrecking yard truch. I am ready to go. Till the big rebuild. All I need now is the time to do it. All of the new parts are in the shed.

Oh, I signed up with Alldata. There is a wealth of information and any schematic known to man on that site. Best 29.95 I have spent, lately. The subscription is in effect for a year. Good stuff!

92 5.0 Aod Swap To 93 5.8 E4od is the original thread That I posted. Dated 4/29/10

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts