Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

swap from 2WD to 4WD???

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
how hard would it be to convert my 95 F250 2WD to a 4WD... I know transfer case New driveshafts. The question is would the front axle swap out and bolt up if I found one from the same year?

Would be interested in conversations on this myself
To me,,, it would depend on how much I have in my truck, can I sell it and get a 4wd in my model of equal value, considering mileage on engine,tranny,drivetrain etc.
Interesting question. I hope you get some responses
Marsh

I did a swap from a 4wd-E4od to 2wd-ZF in a '91 Bronco 5.8.
...and everybody over on the Full Size Bronco forums (FSB)
thought it was a great idea too! ;) LOL

Do yourself a favor and get a donor truck?

Didn't have to drill any holes in the frame, they were all there,
rarin' to go. ;) Swapped stuff from a '90 F250^8500# including
the EEC and pedal cluster etc. Worked right the first time and
still going. :)

Alvin in AZ

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You have to ask yourself if it's more cost effective to swap the transfer case, driveshaft, a new front driveshaft, axle, and computer components, or just to get a new truck.

Ryan

primetime

sawmill slave
It will be easier, maybe cheaper, to sell your truck and buy a 4x4 of the same vintage. That being said, the nice thing about Gen 7-8-9 trucks is they share share similar frames, so you have a couple of options.

Option 1: Find a 94-97 F-250 that is wrecked/rusted, to buy as a parts truck. That way you have all the leaf spring and TTB brackets to transfer to your truck. You will have to take off your coil towers and what not (factory rivets suck). I believe some holes will have to be drilled. Here`s some reading for you. http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31900

Option 2: 94-97 F-350 Dana 60. F-350s have a Dana 60 solid axle which means you won`t need TTB pivot brackets, so things will be a smidge easier. A parts truck would still be best however. Now, I say 94-97 because they will have the same bolt on calipers like you have. If that`s not important to you, than you can look at other years for a parts truck.

Option 3: Coil sprung solid axle swap. For this one a late 70s F-150 Dana 44 with F-250 knuckles and brakes (to retain your 8 pin wheels), would allow you to retain your coil springs for a cushy ride. You will also need the radius arms and what not from the 70s truck. A Dana 60 is also feasible this way if you get some radius arm tabs and weld them on. This is how I would do it (I have a 78 Dana 60 in waiting). If you are considering this one I would jump on www.fullsizebronco.com scroll down to the solid axle swap forum, and read until your eyes go crossed.

Now, keep in mind that this is a pretty simplified outline, but it should give you an idea.

Here`s some reading for you that falls in with option 2, with a shackle reversal. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford/1057572-1997-f350-powerstoke-dually-2wd-4wd.html

Last edited:

jbashaw

daddy bashaw
yeah selling isn't an option for me i have a lot of sentimental value to the truck i let my dad drive it all summer and he loved it... he passed away in October and was actually driving my truck then so when i drive he's riding shotgun right next to me :) Im fine with 2WD I just figured if i got a 95 F250 of same year it would be a simple swap... guess i will just stick with 2WD on this truck and use it for daily driver and highway pulling... I'll probably pick me up a rust bucket and make it my toy... so there is no simple way? thanks guys i appreciate y'all on this forum. i always had my ole man to ask advice from but since October i been working the shit out of the Google servers cause Im a curious kid lol

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It can be done, but it's just not a simple swap.

I actually entertained the same idea years ago (back when I only had one truck). I am sentimentally attached to my 1994 2wd truck too, so I couldn't get rid of it. Eventually I bought a new daily driver (4wd) to get around when it's slick, and still have my old sentimental project truck.

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles