Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

supercharger vs. turbocharger

supercharger or turbocharger

• Total voters

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I am biased!

But SUPERCHARGER!

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I can try, I suppose...no promises, though.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Looks like that worked...

BIGRED911

Charter Member
you can..they make astronomical amounts of low end power, banks makes what they call a super turbo duracrack, makes 820ft/lbs of torque at 1200 rpm...huge super feedin two huge turbos...its a navy boat project and its wild...cummins used to put super chargers on all sorts of thier stuff, and ive often thought of puttin one on my isx as it never sees over 1800 rpm....

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Turbo- no parasitic power loss, easier on the internal components, cheaper to install and maintain.
This was always my understanding about the differences between the two. But am I wrong in assuming that the exhaust back pressure from the turbo amounts to at least a little bit of power loss?

BIGRED911

Charter Member
ha ha..havent heard that in a long time...ye ole buzzin dozens...yup dual super charged, v 12 two stroke noise makers...
up till bout 3 years ago there was an old guy around home that had one in ( i wanna say a shaker) you could hear him comin from 5 miles away and here him goin for 2 more... dads old 444 cummins would smoke it tho... single turbo, cam retarded an entire tooth, fuel pump off an industrial motor( fuel line goin into the pump factory was 3/4" dads was runnin 1 3/4") advanced 2 teeth, that ole baby would scream altho alittle touchy on the throttle....

miss the old mechanical trucks blowin smoke, those days are long gone, heck im tryin to clean up what little bit of smoke i have outa my isx...turnin her up from 400 ta 500 hp should do the trick....tryin to get through jamestown indiana with some time and money to spare and havin fleece perfomance make me a stand alone controler for the turbo on my isx...

Turbo- no parasitic power loss, easier on the internal components, cheaper to install and maintain.

x2

This was always my understanding about the differences between the two. But am I wrong in assuming that the exhaust back pressure from the turbo amounts to at least a little bit of power loss?

Maybe a little, but nothing like the power a s/c robs..

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon

VW TDi's- the motor so energy-efficient they need auxiliary heaters because the motors don't throw off enough heat (serious) are turbocharged, not supercharged. I'd assume VW did the math and the homework here- their EPA figures speak for themselves.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts