Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Supercab rear shoulder belts?

Manimal

California Chapter member
Has anyone ever added rear shoulder seat belts to a supercab? My wife is not happy with the lap belts in the rear seat. My kids need shoulder belts for the car seat/booster seats. Thanks
-Lance

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I can't imagine it being too hard to do; just mimic the style of the regular cab OTS belts. Perhaps you could pull a set out of a regular cab and get to hacking.

What kind of seat do you have back there?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I remember seeing a couple guys do this and IIRC, the toughest part was strutural integrity. It's not just a matter of bolting on/in the necessary parts because if you do get in a wreck they'll just pull through.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I can't imagine it being too hard to do; just mimic the style of the regular cab OTS belts. Perhaps you could pull a set out of a regular cab and get to hacking.
Before you remove shoulder harnesses from older trucks, take a good look at them.

1977 was the first year Ford installed one piece shoulder belts as standard equipment (1977 after serial #Y20,001 on non High Boy F250 4WD's). 1967/76: Shoulder straps were optional and were are a separate part.

1967/76: The shoulder straps were separate from the lap belts. Each inner lap belt used w/shoulder straps were specific...because they contained TWO buckles...

One for the tongue of the lap belt, t'other for the tongue of the shoulder strap.

The separate shoulder straps attached to the top inner sides of the cab corners. Black plugs covered up the mounting holes.

Y'all are prolly unaware that the US Gov't says it's a FELONY to sell used seat belts. Most auto wreckers cut the belts, so they cannot be used.

And...btw, there were two types of buckles used thru 1979. Some have a black plastic cover, some have a chrome cover.

Last edited:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Didn't know about the 67/76 should belts... interesting setup.

If the cab contours are the same (I don't see why not), I'd pull a set out of a 77/9.

You may want to consider the 5 point 67-68 Mustang belts...they are easy to get (I have 4 sets in black) and easy to mount.
Except for the lap belt...They do not retract but they work very well and they are Ford

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I remember seeing a couple guys do this and IIRC, the toughest part was strutural integrity. It's not just a matter of bolting on/in the necessary parts because if you do get in a wreck they'll just pull through.
Exactly. There is an insane amount of force put on the belts during a wreck. You would probably be safer with the factory belts than with hack job non factory shoulder belts.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
You may want to consider the 5 point 67-68 Mustang [confused] belts...they are easy to get (I have 4 sets in black) and easy to mount.

Except for the lap belt...They do not retract but they work very well and they are Ford
Did'ja know (prolly not) that Ford offered a seat belt retractor: C4AZ-62611A06-A (for seat belts that did come w/a built in retractor) as a dealer installed accessory?

This little darlin' has been reproduced and is available from dearbornclassics.com. Call 800-252-7427 and order a free catalog.

While Dearborn sells Passenger Car repro parts, some were also used on trucks, Bronco's and etc.

According to the '65/72 passenger car parts catalog (illustration section 620, page 5), shoulder straps on 1967/71's were separate from the lap belts.

The straps attached to the roof, the tongue ends were held there by clips when not in use. Shoulder straps were not available on ragtops until 1972.

I'm not familiar with the 5 point type of seat belt you're referring to being installed in Mustang's. AFAIK, they were only installed in Shelby GT350/500's.

Last edited:
They call it a 5 point because of the shoulder- lap belt combo

it is actually a 3 point - 2 point combo

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
They call it a 5 point because of the shoulder- lap belt combo

it is actually a 3 point - 2 point combo
I thought you had fallen off the chair and hit your noggin on the way down, cuz you usually don't make mistakes.

Now I see that your seat belt description was different than what I'm familiar with. :rotz:

Manimal

California Chapter member
did Ford ever offer rear seats with integrated seat belts?...I'm talking LATE model? Maybe I can retro-fit them(seats) into my truck.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts