Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stupid clutch

Ok. I got bored today coming home and decided i hadnt burned out in a while. So i stop on dry pavement, rev it just a tad, and dump the clutch. And it takes off like its an automatic. It slipped that bad. Didnt even spin the tires. WTH

According to the guy i bought the engine /trans from, he had slippage problems and put a clutch in that has asbestos on one side and ceramic pucks on the other to fix the problem. So why did it do this to me?

It doesnt slip at all under normal driving conditions, but as soon as i try to roast them, it slips way to much

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
(puts dad hat on). I'll tell you the same thing I tell my son. The one who's gone through three clutches, a slave cylinder, four sets of tires, a power steering rack... (I'll think of a few other things, just give me a minute or two) in three years and 90,000 miles.

That's thousands in repairs all caused directly by driving style. Now if it wasn't his daily driver (e.g. work truck), and he had money to burn, it'd be different. But that ain't the case... :headbang:

You know where I'm going with this, right?

How bad did the clutch smell after the tire-roasting episode?

(puts dad hat on). I'll tell you the same thing I tell my son. The one who's gone through three clutches, a slave cylinder, four sets of tires, a power steering rack... (I'll think of a few other things, just give me a minute or two) in three years and 90,000 miles.

That's thousands in repairs all caused directly by driving style. Now if it wasn't his daily driver (e.g. work truck), and he had money to burn, it'd be different. But that ain't the case... :headbang:

You know where I'm going with this, right?

How bad did the clutch smell after the tire-roasting episode?

Didnt smell it. It didnt fry it. it works like normal

Also is it adjusted right so it disengages all the way.

Ive been having issues with the adjustment. I will adjust it to where its just right, no slop in linkage, and after a month it gets some slop back into it. I adjust it, and it loosens up. I cant imagine the nuts are moving, since its double nutted. Its done this 3 times

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Ive been having issues with the adjustment. I will adjust it to where its just right, no slop in linkage, and after a month it gets some slop back into it. I adjust it, and it loosens up. I cant imagine the nuts are moving, since its double nutted. Its done this 3 times

Hydraulic clutch, right? What about the slave cylinder?

Hmm if youre gettin em tight then they shouldnt be slippin so id say the clutch is on its way out. It shouldnt have to get adjusted very often.

Yeah i wondered about it. Dissapointing. Bearing seems to make noise. There more i look at it, the more im thinkin the motor and trans will be coming out this summer. I wanna rebuild the engine (I keep telling people the blue smoke that comes out is a ford factory option) and im gunna build it even hotter. at that point the clutch will be inspected. Trans is fine, no complaints there

I think its the bearing. Something is causing a sound to resonate up my linkage. If i slightly press the pedal, it quits. Its worse as the slop gets worse

Thats what i was thinking. Oh well. I might buy a cheapo ranger for a dd. Then i can park this for a while till i can afford to work on it

"Stupid Clutch" :)
Hmmm... :)
stupid clutch...
Hmmmm... uh... hmmm...
Let's see, uh...
"stupid uhhhh... yeah... ok..."
No comment on the clutch? ;)

-----------------

Got my Dent -brand new- 35 years ago yesterday! :)
...and -never- did a "burn out" in it -ever-. :)
It hauled dune-buggies, dirt-bikes and later, 4 wheelers
...many of those things did get tore-up from abuse tho. ;)

Man, am I boring or what? :(

The Old Clunker is settin out there in the driveway, right now. :)
-ready-

Ready to go to Mexico or New Mexico or any where I want or
need to go! LOL :) It's never broke down and left me stranded
-anywhere- -ever-. :)

But it's never done a "burnout" tho. :(
What a waste of 35 years huh? :/
No burnouts, ever. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrEHDIc5ttc
Is that guy on the bicycle, cool or what? LOL :)

The "You're-A-Peein'" is just mashing a gas pedal down! :(
A 10 year old can do that for cryin' out load! :(
Let's see him do what the "towel head" on the bicycle did! LOL :)

Which one are you?
...the 10 year old?
...or the guy with some strength and agility? ;)

Alvin in AZ
ps- Rammstein :)

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts