Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stuck In Regen

OMG! ya ever hear of "black lung" disease???
That's what COAL MINERS get.... they work hard for a living.
Of COURSE he hasn't heard of it!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
they work hard for a living.
Of COURSE he hasn't heard of it!
Oh really? You saying I don't work hard for a living? Do you? You got more post than I do Tommy Boy. Oh that's right, you don't cause you can't keep your rig running. I almost forgot. :nana: :rofl: :nana:

Just because I earn my living more efficiently than you doesn't mean I don't work hard, doughboy.

It is when I still make my nut for the week and get home.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The thing is... they make leaps and bounds to try and make these things run clean... which they did, and very well, to the point that we run these things in the shop with no hoses most of the time... but to some I guess that means tieing up a few ponies... I wonder what kind of EPA fines he could be looking at...

You know there is alot of truth in that statement. Superchips Mike said that when they tested there 08 on the Superchips dyno, in stock form with the truck straight piped it made 1 RWHP more than it did with the factory exhaust system in place.

So by removing it that guy will not even notice the performance gain. That was before it stuck in regen and now it is slower and has worse gas mileage than when it was stock, go figure.:rolling laugh:

I am all for hot rodding a vehicle but it takes a hell of alot more than just ripping and exhaust off or changing the air filter. With todays vehicles you need a degree in both computer science and mechanics if you are going to be able to successfully build a hot rod. YelloThumbUp

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I am all for hot rodding a vehicle but it takes a hell of alot more than just ripping and exhaust off or changing the air filter. With todays vehicles you need a degree in both computer science and mechanics if you are going to be able to successfully build a hot rod. YelloThumbUp
I don't have either and mine's doing awesome. Maybe that's because I know people that are those things and I'm just the driver when they're done. ROFL

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Damn- what a horror story. the guys probably freakin' out after he found out what it'll cost to bring everything back to normal.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Damn- what a horror story. the guys probably freakin' out after he found out what it'll cost to bring everything back to normal.
Yeah, but pride isn't going to allow him to admit that it was the wrong thing to do. As I said once on the other side "Make your mod choices wisely!"

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I tell people all the time to make their choices wisely. Every choice has either a reward or a consequence. Some have both but all choices have at least one. Think about what those might be before choosing...
Hmmmmm, bigger Turbo to out run a stupid cop or ah, get caught. Hmmmm, I'm goin' wit' a bigger Turbo!! Me an my truck are like Tim Taylor and his riding lawn mower!! ROFLMAO

I's jus' kiddin' 'bout the stupid cop thing.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Think I migh wait for Ford to come up with a bit more of an elegant solution to the "active cat", before I get another truck........The idea of inhibiting the timeing so a jet of flame travels to a cat with a puddle of diesel in there to torch the soot............well it just seems a bit "Rube Goldberg" to me........And not only that, what it's would do to my fuel economy.

Methinks I'll hide and watch, and wait for developments.

Gunner

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
I have no clue what a DPF is (I know what a cat is) or what regen has to do with a truck, but it sounds like he screwed up royally from what everyone is saying here. Can you say OOPS!!!

Diesel Paticulate Filter, it is desinged to capture the soot in diesel exhaust. The filter becomes full of soot and must be regenerated by increasing the exhaust temperature to burn off the captured soot. Regen is done every 300-800 miles. Here are some links to more information than you probably want on DPF systems
http://ect.jmcatalysts.com/technologies-diesel.htm
www.dieselparticulatefilter.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

blacksnapon

Staff member
The back pressure sensors detect that the dpf is getting clogged with particulates. The pcm triggers a firing event in the injectors during the exhaust stroke, raising the exhaust temperatures to burn off particulates. What they aren't calculating is that the temperature sensors have to see the raised temperature before it shuts off regen. Even with the dpf gone, there is enough back pressure in the system to initiate the regeneration process.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
So Vince, Expert FORD Mechanic and all around good guy...

Is this guy looking for a magic fix that he will never find through drilling holes and programming? Is the only solution for him to pony up the $$$ and replace the parts?

Ford Truck Articles