Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stubborn 2nd/3rd Gear

Tried a search but couldnt find anyone with a really similar problem.
It's a 76' F100, 3 speed toploader. Fires up and runs in reverse and 1st gear perfect, however, I cant for the life of me get it into 2nd or 3rd gear. The old man I bought it from was able to slam it into 2nd and 3rd both but im guessing I dont have his same touch. Even with the truck not running it wont shift into 2nd or 3rd. Am I possibly just looking at some loose linkage binding up? Going to check that now, or am I possibly looking at bad synchros in the trans? I'm an engine guy not a trans guy lol so be easy on me guys, thanks in advance for your replies!

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
Sounds along the lines of damaged synchros. The old grain truck is like that for going from 1st to second. Having driven IH tractors all my youth, I am quite familiar on getting the gears to mesh even when the synchros don't want to...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Either synchronizers or shift fork. My guess, shift fork, because second and third are on the same rail.

Thanks for the replies guys, just a quick update, I got it to drive fine, all it took was wiggling the shifter a little coming out of 1st and it will slide it to 2nd perfect. Seems like it doesn't want to release out of 1st unless you wiggle it back and forth a bit.

primetime

sawmill slave
I would check out the linkage in the column. Could be it`s getting worn out and that is your problem, not so much a tranny issue.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts