Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight-up timing set for a 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well...this thread became rather elaborate.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Can someone tell me what the pipe fitting size is for the temp sensing probe in the 400 engine. I bought an Autometer temp gauge which came with a UNF/pipe thread adapter which is way too big. I looked at my old one last night and it looks like the pipe thread might be 1/4 or 3/8? If that is the case, the temp probe end might be too big for the old fitting. :headbang:

I need the size of the fitting that actually screws into the block. Thank you.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Where are you putting it?....my block is kinda handy down in the garage. My original sender was in the stat housing I think.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Mine is in the block behind the alternator. I think it is a 3/8" NPT? The temp indicator/vacuum switch for the EGR is in the thermostat housing on mine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Mine is in the block behind the alternator. I think it is a 3/8" NPT? The temp indicator/vacuum switch for the EGR is in the thermostat housing on mine.

I will go look

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Sir! It's not like I'm going to work on it in below zero weather. I just want to have everything in place when it does happen............in July. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
3/8-18 would be it and I think that was where mine was...I think I was imagining the t-stat housing :D

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Duncan. I appreciate that. Looks like it will fit, then. I ordered a 3/8 UNF adapter to pipe thread.

Here's what I bought. It should give me a pretty good idea of actual temp.

DSCF2792.JPG

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No problemo :D
That looks good and a nice wide scale where you need it!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Duncan. I appreciate that. Looks like it will fit, then. I ordered a 3/8 UNF adapter to pipe thread.

Here's what I bought. It should give me a pretty good idea of actual temp.

DSCF2792.JPG

Installed this guy today. Took about an hour, after I got the radiator partially drained. Looks like the temps are about 10 deg lower than the old stewart warner gauge. The UNF adapter that I ordered from Summitt did not fit into the block very well(quite loose), so I just used the old adapter.

The full sweep, narrow range(120-240 deg) is quite nice. You can actuially tell what the temp is without having to guess. We will see how things look this summer.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ask, and ye shall receive. I drove the truck for about an hour tonight, with speeds up to 65 mph, and at 32 deg ambient, the temp never got above 188 deg, which means the thermostat never even opened up.

This is more in line with what I would expect to see, given the size of the radiator I have on the truck(supercooling). Can't wait to see what happens this summer. I still plan on changing the timing set this spring, for a bigger grin. :D

DSCF2819.JPG

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Did you bench test the therm, to see what temp it opened ?

Yes, I did, Mark. The thermostat started opening about 190 deg, and it is rated as a 192 deg thermostat, from Robert Shaw.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Yes, I did, Mark. The thermostat started opening about 190 deg, and it is rated as a 192 deg thermostat, from Robert Shaw.

and when where the eggs done? smilietease

looks nice Doug, just don't stare at it to long at one time and have an accident with a tree. Just saying, not from experience or anything...:wasntme:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
and when where the eggs done? smilietease

looks nice Doug, just don't stare at it to long at one time and have an accident with a tree. Just saying, not from experience or anything...:wasntme:

:rofl2: The eggs were done later. I can only cook one thing at a time. smilietease

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Was going to do this job today, and tomorrow, since it is so warm, but decided to wait till later in the spring. Still working up the courage.........

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts