Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight-up timing set for a 400

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thanks Ben! that's exactly what I wanted to see

No problem...but are you sure you don't want a picture of Doug too??? He's really cute, especially for being 112 years old.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
That would put you at about 65?

Close...27...but that would still put you at 74 if the numbers are the same. You look good for 112, not so much for 74.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To my understanding...it's about valvetrain movement. I don't believe you're actually 'gaining' anything with straight up timing, rather, shifting the power band, creating more low end torque and response, while sacrificing top end performance.

To my understanding...it's about valvetrain movement. I don't believe you're actually 'gaining' anything with straight up timing, rather, shifting the power band, creating more low end torque and response, while sacrificing top end performance.

Thats interesting. My 400 with 4:11 has a lot of low end torque and I couldn't see the need for more.

Though it does seem to run out of breath really quick at the high end.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Thats interesting. My 400 with 4:11 has a lot of low end torque and I couldn't see the need for more.

Though it does seem to run out of breath really quick at the high end.

I guess in theory then, if you used the retarded 4* keyway, that would help your top end...if I understand things correctly.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Another question - Do I set the engine at TDC for the #1 cylinder before I remove the old timing set?

Doesn't really matter. But before you put the new set on, make sure #1 is at TDC and make sure your dizzy is at #1. If you by chance loose count of how many rotations the crank or dizzy make getting them both to #1/TDC, there's a chance that when you try to fire the truck for the first time, it won't fire. Don't freak out, you're just 180* out, so you'll need to pull the dizzy, rotate and reseat.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you, Ben. If I pull the number 1 sparkplug, stick my finger over the hole, and I get pressure, rather than suction when I rotate the engine, I know I am on the compression stroke.................Right?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yessir. Just remember to unplug your coil. Since everything is off the front of the engine anyway, I usually just stick the crank bolt back on, grab a 15/16" (I think) socket and my long 1/2" and roll over by hand.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Andy Warhol?

:p

Or Bruce Dern?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts