Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stock Transmissions

Michigan
What trans were available in a 92-96 F150?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Which year exactly? The AOD was phased out early in generation 9 trucks and gave way to E4OD only for automatics. The M5OD was the manual transmission only, if I recall. The ZF was reserved for the heavier trucks.

Ryan

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Ryan you are WRONG the E4OD was NOT the only automatic offered in mid 90's trucks...you're forgetting the precursor to the 4R70W....the AODE

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's fine.

So is that based on the AOD 4 speed transmission? I see you have in your sig that you have the AODE. I thought the E4OD was the electronic relative to the AOD.

Ryan

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
huh uh the AOD is the un overdrived version of the AODE...and far as I know (because parts are interchangeable)the E4OD is the overdriven version of the C6.

3-speed C6 automatic
4-speed AODE automatic
4-speed E4OD automatic
4-speed T-18 manual
5-speed M5OD manual
5-speed ZF S5-42 manual

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
huh uh the AOD is the un overdrived version of the AODE...and far as I know (because parts are interchangeable)the E4OD is the overdriven version of the C6.
Now you are the WRONG one :rofl2: Both the AOD and the AOD-E are 4-speed (3 + overdrive) transmissions. The AODE was just a later version that incorporated more electronics. And I believe that the AODE and 4R70W essentially the same transmission (if not EXACTLY the same transmissions).

Now you are the WRONG one :rofl2: Both the AOD and the AOD-E are 4-speed (3 + overdrive) transmissions. The AODE was just a later version that incorporated more electronics. And I believe that the AODE and 4R70W essentially the same transmission (if not EXACTLY the same transmissions).

No, not true. Similar internals, but different gear ratios and also transmission cases. :)

to clarify on the m5od, wasn't it more specifically the m5od-r2. not sure where the r1 fit in

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
to clarify on the m5od, wasn't it more specifically the m5od-r2. not sure where the r1 fit in

M5OD-R1 is in the Rangers.

Michigan
LOL! So does anyone really even know? I was thinking they offered two autos (E4OD and the AOD) Plus the manuals. But a buddy of mine swears he has a 4R70W in his 94 F150...

wikipedia list of ford transmissions - does not break down specifically to trucks. here are the relevant ones i saw. i did not see the m5od mentioned at all, so who knows about this list

1992– AOD-E — Electronic AOD
1993– AOD-EW/4R70W — Strengthened AOD-E with lower 1st and 2nd gear ratios
1966–1996 C6 - Most big-block V8 powered cars of the 1960s and 1970s in the North American market
1985–1994 A4LD — C3 with overdrive
1989–1996 E4OD — C6 with overdrive
1995–2001 4R44E — Electronically controlled A4LD, light-duty
1995–1997 4R55E — Electronically controlled A4LD, heavy-duty

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member

The main difference between the AOD and the AODE is the fact that the AODE has the selectable od on the end of the shifter in the form of a button...unlike the AOD which has it marked on the column.Example. AODE : P-R-N-D-2-1 /AOD: P-R-N-D-3-2-1

I already stated that the AODE is the PREcursor to the 4R70W.....

The main difference between the AOD and the AODE is the fact that the AODE has the selectable od on the end of the shifter in the form of a button...unlike the AOD which has it marked on the column.Example. AODE : P-R-N-D-2-1 /AOD: P-R-N-D-3-2-1

actually, the AOD selector pattern is P-R-N-OD-D-1. manual shifting into second gear is only acheived in the AOD by doing the 1-D-1 shuffle.

Ford Truck Articles