Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stinkin Thinkin'

bobf100

Guys - I want your opinion and advice. My last thread in this forum talked about how my wife's 98 4x4 Explorer's transmission finally let go after 160,000 miles. We are moving to the country and will be driving 100 miles round trip each day to work so we're going to buy a small car with good gas mileage for her to drive everyday.

The Ford dealer wants $3500 to $4000 to rebuild the trans but I've got a transmission shop that I trust and have used before that will do it for $2200. My wife and I both would like to have a 3rd car as backup so we're thinking about replacing the transmission and keeping the explorer around. It would only be driven on snowy days or when one of our other cars is in the shop. My thought is that I can't buy a decient 3rd vehicle for $2200. I've owned this truck since new and know exactly what I got so it makes sense to me to repair and keep it. With it's new duties as a backup vehicle it probably will get very few miles a year so I hope it will last a few more years into the future.

Is my thinkin' stinkin? Or is there something I'm missing? [confused]

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
nope that makes sense to me. you know the ins and outs of that vehicle, why buy a used one and find the bad things with it the hard way?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If you can afford it, I'd probably go for it.

Having said that, my opinion is that letting a vehicle sit tends to be pretty hard on them. If you keep it, make a point to drive it once a week or so, for long enough to get up to temperature, and clean the rust off the brakes.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just keep one eye trained on the local salvage yard. If they get an explorer or ranger with low mileage, hey, cheaper than new!

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I found one online shipped to you with 33000 miles for $874

I think that amount is ridiculous to rebuild a transmission. You can do it yourself a whole lot cheaper over a weekend. Shops want people to be afraid of them. They are not that difficult to do. Just takes some time.

Now...if you can't/won't do it yourself...then listen to these guys. You know the vehicle.

bobf100

Guys - thanks for the input. I'll consider my options. Right now the wife and I are moving to a new house and have 23 years of crap at the old house we've got to sort through and move. My main focus is the move so we can get the old house out on the market. I'll deal with the Explorer a little later. Again thanks for you advice - you guys are the best.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Anything for you Bob!(I know your wife tells you that all the time but...) LOL

bobf100

Anything for you Bob!(I know your wife tells you that all the time but...) LOL

Right now she is so stressed all she does is b-tch at me. I'll be happy when this move is over.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts