Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Still tranny shoppin'

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
"3 speed trans with OD, it is marked D8 which would be a 78 truck."

Couldn't copy n' paste the pics, but if you look on the classified threads you'll see '78-79 parts. Check it out. Will this tranny work with my 400?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Don't need to look at pics, because...

Ford RUG SR-OD Single Rail 4 Speed Overdrive, initially designed for Granada's and Fairmont/Zephyr's.

Ford began installing them in F100/150's and E100/150's with 300's and 302's in 1978 in an effort to improve fuel economy.

The RTS replaced the RUG in 1983. Both trannies are "weak sisters." One speed shift, you can kiss the little darlins' good bye.

The parts are obsolete, expensive when you do find them.

The end of the shift lever fits into a nylon bushing (D9BZ-7K453-A) that is notorious for snapping...lotsa luck finding any.

A while ago, I found exactly 3 at Ford Dealers/obsolete parts vendors when someone on t'other site was looking for one.

Last edited:
Hey Bill you slipped up on this post :)

It's not like you not to mention what transmission he should be looking for.

Before and after buying the 95 Explorer my reaserch completely overwhelmed me with all sorts of bad Transmission coding numbers for the 4.0L,5.0L engines
All those letters and numbers (ie:F44T5) could have been reduced IMO

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hey Bill you slipped up on this post :)
Uh huh...how so? The OP asked about a trans he found, wanted info on it...so I gave it to him.

It's not like you not to mention what transmission he should be looking for.
That's not what the OP was asking about. And if he did, I woulda passed.
I'm not going to advise someone inre to what trans they should be lookin' for...cuz...I HATE SWAPS, you wanna know why?

People make these changes, do not record what the parts came from...then when something breaks, they haven't a clue, so...

They waltz into the parts dept, lay a bunch of greasy parts on the counter...then say to the partsguy: "What do these parts fit?"

I went thru this scenario 100's of times and...Since it usually involved old rolling piles of misery, I had to get involved because...the other partsguys were as clueless as the customer!

I was a back (shop) parts counterman, but when a customer came in that owned an old rolling pile of misery, the front counter guys would get me involved, cuz they didn't wanna mess with it.

:rofl: I can just picture you as a partsman...and if we worked at the same dealership, as soon as a customer waltzed in that fit this scenario, you start yellin' "BILL, BILL...I NEED HELP!"

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I always keep track of where my conversion parts come from, because I minimize the headache finding parts for myself. I also try to stick with one factory part or another, and keep the custom parts to a minimum just because if it were to fail on the road, then it has to be replaced somehow. Most of the custom parts aren't likely to fail anyway... I try to keep stock type wearout parts. I know the type you refer though Bill, especially the racers around here. They come in with the assumption that all 12 bolt axles or all 9' axles or all small block chevy parts are the same... then think we are the dumb ones as we can't just walk to the shelf and grab it. They are all the same right???? :rolleyes:

I'm not going to advise someone inre to what trans they should be lookin' for...cuz...I HATE SWAPS, you wanna know why?

content snipped "BILL, BILL...I NEED HELP!"

Bill it appears you missed the gist of my words.

You know what is good and what has turned out to be a failure with Ford stuff.

I see you all the time recommend certain things to people and thought you might have mentioned a good transmission for this guy to get.

You know ....like when comparing the C4, C6 and FMX to each other and the engines they were used with.

Me, I consider the C6 the best of the 3.

Fellro

Staff member
A ZF will work, but take a bit of effort, as it is hydraulic vs the factory manual linkage, but since the 460 trans is external slave, it is possible to make a manual linkage setup work with it, but can't begin to advise on it without doing some research myself. You have to watch the year though, as 92 and newer use the rear axle speed sensor to run the speedo, while the 87-91 where still cable drive. Not sure on the differences of the input, but could probably find out. I have a 92 460 ZF, but it has no provision for a speedo cable. I have been told of 400's hooked up to ZF transmissions, but without doing some research, can't tell you specifics. If you are hiring the swap done, then it can get pricey real fast, the only way I condone swaps is if you feel you can do them yourself.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Bill it appears you missed the gist of my words.

You know what is good and what has turned out to be a failure with Ford stuff.

I see you all the time recommend certain things to people and thought you might have mentioned a good transmission for this guy to get.
I didn't miss diddly, but the OP did, because he didn't list enough info... :rotz: ...which on the net, or even at the parts counter is typical. You have to pry the info oughtta some people.

The OP never made it clear what trans he's shopping for. Never said what trans his truck has now, or why he wants to swap trannies.

It could be he wants better gas mileage, and if this is the case, he's throwing away his money, because...

These trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick, so money spent (and the labor involved) in an effort to improve MPG will buy one hell of a lotta gasoline.

With a 400, the NP435, Warner T-18 or C6 will work w/o mods, anything else will require modifications...see fellro's post.

The RUG 4 speed O/D the OP was askin' about was a "weak sister" originally designed for and installed in mid-sized Passenger Cars...and IMO, that's where it belongs, not in a truck.

Ford only installed it in E/F100/150's after the first Arab Oil Embargo ended (and just before the second began in 1979), cuz they had nothing else. The awful AOD wasn't introduced until 1980 (cars), 1981 (trucks).

Last edited:
See, I knew it was in there somewhere.

RPM's

smiliehijacked

I'd like to have lower rpm's at higher speeds, and thought that an OD unit would do that, but after reading these posts, I don't think that's the answer. Currently have a 400 with a 4 speed. As far as I know, it's never been rebuilt. Are there things that can be done with the camshaft to allow for better highway driving? Thanks.

Fellro

Staff member
In order to get lower RPM's, there are two ways to get there. Higher (numerically lower) gear ratio in the rear axle, or an overdrive. Camshafts make for better driveability, but make no difference whatsoever on highway cruise speeds. That is determined entirely by the final drive ratio, which is established by the rear axle ratio and the transmission final ratio. Currently, your trans is a 1:1 ratio, so your cruise rpm is determined by the rear axle. If you want lower cruise rpm's you MUST change either the rear axle ratio or the transmission ratio, which would be an overdrive.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Ok, thanks. I have so much to learn. Currently it's a 4.10 rear end.

At least that's what the cover says, but the vin also says that's what it came with. [confused]
The VIN doesn't say any such thing.

No VIN of any Passenger Car or Truck...regardless of what year it is...has the axle code listed within it.

The AXLE code is listed separately on the Rating Plate (1957/60), on the Warranty Plate (1961/80), on the Certification Label (1981 to date).

1948/56 has the actual ratio stamped on the Rating Plate. There were no VIN's prior to 1948. Vehicles back then were registered by their specific engine number.

Last edited:
Bill I think he waas probably meaning Vin and ID tag aka: Rating Plate

There are several people on the planet that don't use the correct terminology

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
I'm not lookin fer better gas mialage because my 400 gets the gpm of a freight train right now. I wanna manual tranny because I've always had a manual and I've always had a deep hatred way down in my soul for an automatic. The only reason I bought the 78 with a C6 is cause I got a very good deal on the truck ($2500 for a rebuilt 400 and perfect paint, body and interior). I have the means and knowledge at hand to do the swap myself, just havn't found the right parts at the right price at a location near me.

P.S.- for the auto lovers: I would gladly swap the C6 for a 4sp manual

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
The C6 was the best, most trouble free A/T Ford ever offered. The 4 speeds have a granny low that is next to worthless unless you are carrying/pulling a load.

In heavy stop and go traffic, rowing back/forth between gears is a PITA.

In 1968, I bought a new F250 Ranger 390/Warner T-18. I HATED that damn trans from the get go, and when the truck was totaled in 1971 by a DUI'er when it was parked, I replaced it w/a new 1971 Ranger XLT 390/C6.

Every new truck/car I've bought since 1971 has had an A/T. The traffic is so horrific here in LA LA Land (and lotsa other places)...why anyone would want a stick shift...is beyond me.

"Poor soul, he was just too high strung." -Quote by Doc Holliday...describing what happened to Johnny Behan after he drove in heavy Tombstone traffic using a stick shift!

Yeah, I know what the quote actually refers to (I've seen the film "Tombstone" dozens of times)...but I couldn't resist! :rofl:

And, btw, no one actually knows whether Holliday killed Behan or not. The general consensus among historians is...Behan committed suicide.

One thing western films never show is...after someone was killed, the killer would take everything: guns, money, horse w/saddle and etc.

When Behan's body was found in Sycamore Canyon, he had a pair of Colt .45's pistols and a brand new Winchester model 1876 .45-60 rifle in a saddle scabbard on his horse.

One pistol was holstered (on his left side), the other (right holster was empty) to the right of his body, which had a gaping hole in the right temple.

Last edited:

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
"Poor soul, he was just too high strung." -Quote by Doc Holliday...describing what happened to Johnny Behan after he drove in heavy Tombstone traffic using a stick shift!

:funnypostabove: Ha! Thats purdy good. Yea I guess a stick shift would be pretty aggrevating in the city, but I live out in backwoods MS and I pull cattle trailers nearly every weekend and never drive over 55 on the highway.
I guess I'm just against A/T's because my dad always had problems with his.
On a standard tranny the worst that USUALLY happens is you burn up a clutch and have to replace it ($125) as apposed to rebuilding an auto.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
smiliehijacked

I'd like to have lower rpm's at higher speeds, and thought that an OD unit would do that, but after reading these posts, I don't think that's the answer. Currently have a 400 with a 4 speed. As far as I know, it's never been rebuilt. Are there things that can be done with the camshaft to allow for better highway driving? Thanks.

You can either purchase a $2500-3000 kit, regear...or artificially lower rpms going with taller tires.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts