Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Still thinking about selling. How much is she worth?

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Hey guys and gals. Need some thoughts. Maybe talk me out of doing something stupid..?

Took my truck for a long drive today to see where my friend lives. 75 miles roundtrip.

I'm really getting tired of the old truck. I do love the truck but she's as trucky as can be. I'm almost embarrassed to ride people. My truck is noisy (mudding tires, exhaust), uncomfortable to brake (warped rotor), the seating sucks for my passengers (bench seat), absolutely doggy on the highway (low gearing).
Yes, I know a lot of my truck's annoyances are brought on by my own fault. However I'm not about to gut my cab, sound proof it and put it back together, re-gear it, take off the body lift, spend more money on tires, etc.

I know what the blue book is but I want to know what you guys would pay for the truck.

Here's the details

1994 F-150 FlareSide 4.9L 4x2 | 3'' body lift | E40D | 4.11 gear with locker. Nearly 215,000 miles (owch).
31'' mudding tires, bench seat, CD player, power steering, tilt, cruise, cold AC, heater works good, factory bumper towing package, flowmaster exhaust, tinted windows, bug shield, rain guards (those metal things above the windows).

Paint needs a good wax job, starting to blue in some places. Plenty of little scratches and small dings (most of the dings are in the tailgate). Cruise control and my horn don't work. Re-wired horn to button on floor. Cat converters no longer exist (shouldn't be a problem anyway but some people..)

If I were to ask for $4,500, how much of that do you think I could get?

I'm seriously thinking about selling this truck to buy something a little newer, or at least a bit more "passenger friendly". I no longer care about the "bling" factor (i.e. the lift, tires and exhaust). I just want a decent truck that's drivable on the highway.

She's a pretty thing.. Am I just getting soft?? 'smiliecrazy' Or just being stupid?
CleanF-150.jpg

Tell me what you all think.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Its a truck itll never be like a car theyre supposed to be noisy, ride rough and smell bad. Just take some time to fix the stuff that needs to get fixed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If it weren't for the miles, in my area you could get 4k for that truck. But considering the mileage, I'd say 3-3500 would be fair. But then you have to consider, what can you get for 3 grand these days that would accomodate what you're looking for...a station wagon, a sedan of sorts?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I say you just go ahead and keep it man, as several have said it's a doggon good lookin truck. Figure you'll have about a $1500 engine rebuild coming, drop another $500 in squeaks and rattles and go to a JY and pull a more accomodating seat. Do all that, and you'll get another 20 years of flawless driving. Now I'm up to 4 cents in this thread.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Three years ago, I sold our '93 4X4 Supercab. It was a loaded XLT, 5.0, Auto, with a canopy, and in very nice shape. Everything worked, truck needed nothing, but was coming up on tires. Folks couldn't believe it had 238,000 miles on it- could've passed for a 50,000 miles truck. Got $3800 for it, which I thought was all the money at the time.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Its a truck itll never be like a car theyre supposed to be noisy, ride rough and smell bad. Just take some time to fix the stuff that needs to get fixed.

Hey hey

You're right, and I did think about this. However I've rode in newer trucks and they sure are nice.. Not nearly no noisy, and passenger seating is more comfortable.

If it weren't for the miles, in my area you could get 4k for that truck. But considering the mileage, I'd say 3-3500 would be fair. But then you have to consider, what can you get for 3 grand these days that would accomodate what you're looking for...a station wagon, a sedan of sorts?

Hey UTfball, thanks for your reply

I know what you're saying. For $3,500, nothing. I do have a little money in the bank and I could probably get a decent truck. I don't know if I could afford anything much "nicer" than what I already have, though.

Another thing.. Even if I do get hardcore about selling my truck (like putting a sign on it, putting it online..) what the heck am I going to do if I do sell the truck? I can't afford new, so I'm left with used, and you know how that goes. Just because I'm honest and I do take care of my truck doesn't mean everyone else does.

sure is a pppurty truck, the mileage makes me think it probably isn't even worth selling, even as good as it looks.

Hey man, thanks very much. I think you're right.

I say you just go ahead and keep it man, as several have said it's a doggon good lookin truck. Figure you'll have about a $1500 engine rebuild coming, drop another $500 in squeaks and rattles and go to a JY and pull a more accomodating seat. Do all that, and you'll get another 20 years of flawless driving. Now I'm up to 4 cents in this thread.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking for a free lunch?? Haha. Any time you're up in WV let me know.

Do you know how to sound proof a truck? I'd sure like to make my truck just a wee bit quieter. I ride with the windows down normally but when I have a passenger the windows are up.

Where are you located?

Are you interested in buying it?

I'm not going to be held liable for the lack of converters. The truck will be sold as is

Three years ago, I sold our '93 4X4 Supercab. It was a loaded XLT, 5.0, Auto, with a canopy, and in very nice shape. Everything worked, truck needed nothing, but was coming up on tires. Folks couldn't believe it had 238,000 miles on it- could've passed for a 50,000 miles truck. Got $3800 for it, which I thought was all the money at the time.

You only got $3,800 for all that? Owch. I guess I better just drive my truck until the rims fall off.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
And thanks for the kind words guys. =)

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
You only got $3,800 for all that? Owch. I guess I better just drive my truck until the rims fall off.

Markets are regional, remember, but it was a damned clean truck, a 4X4, a Supercab (short box), and everything worked. I thought that was all the money myself- nice truck, but a ton of miles. Had I have known son Nick would blow his knee out a week after basic in AIT, and get sent home, I wouldn't have sold it. :headbang:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
dont sell it dude. its to purty of a truck to sell. you aughta do it back to how you want it. and then resell the lift kit and the other stuff like the gears since all that is almost new you wont get all your money back but you'll get some to put back into your truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey UTfball, thanks for your reply

I know what you're saying. For $3,500, nothing. I do have a little money in the bank and I could probably get a decent truck. I don't know if I could afford anything much "nicer" than what I already have, though.

Another thing.. Even if I do get hardcore about selling my truck (like putting a sign on it, putting it online..) what the heck am I going to do if I do sell the truck? I can't afford new, so I'm left with used, and you know how that goes. Just because I'm honest and I do take care of my truck doesn't mean everyone else does.

And that's the point I was making...for what you can get out of your truck, whatever you'd buy, you'd be right back where you started...unless of course you could get a screaming deal.

Thanks for the kind words. Looking for a free lunch?? Haha. Any time you're up in WV let me know.

Do you know how to sound proof a truck? I'd sure like to make my truck just a wee bit quieter. I ride with the windows down normally but when I have a passenger the windows are up.

Hey...I'll never turn down free food...haha. As for sound deadening...can't remember the name of the stuff except for 'sound deadener'...and all you can do is rip out the interior, lay the stuff down and put the interior back in...probably cost you around $250.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
dont sell it dude. its to purty of a truck to sell. you aughta do it back to how you want it. and then resell the lift kit and the other stuff like the gears since all that is almost new you wont get all your money back but you'll get some to put back into your truck.

Hey thanks a lot. I know you and everyone else is right; I need to just suck it up and put a little time and money into it.

And that's the point I was making...for what you can get out of your truck, whatever you'd buy, you'd be right back where you started...unless of course you could get a screaming deal.

Hey...I'll never turn down free food...haha. As for sound deadening...can't remember the name of the stuff except for 'sound deadener'...and all you can do is rip out the interior, lay the stuff down and put the interior back in...probably cost you around $250.

I hope you like Mexican or Chinese. Only two choices in my little hole in the wall, LOL.

The sound deadening..
Is it worth the money? I can't see how just putting stuff down on the floor is going to help.. Will it?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I hope you like Mexican or Chinese. Only two choices in my little hole in the wall, LOL.

The sound deadening..
Is it worth the money? I can't see how just putting stuff down on the floor is going to help.. Will it?

I'll do anything for good Mexican. Anyway, if you want less sound, then it's worth the money...I've always liked hearing everything my vehicles have to offer...be it their tone or even a problem. The stuff you put down is sorta like insulation, so it gobbles up the sound...imagine a sound proof room (sorta). I was just trying to find a thread a guy did about sound deadening in his 79 350...can't find it though, but if you wanna try to find it, his name is Joe aka miottimouse.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Hey thanks Ben, appreciate it. =)

I like the noise too but on extended highway trips (45 minutes) it leaves a ringing in your ears. I wouldn't care but I know it bothers my passengers (only people I care about being my girlfriends or my ma).

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey thanks Ben, appreciate it. =)

I like the noise too but on extended highway trips (45 minutes) it leaves a ringing in your ears. I wouldn't care but I know it bothers my passengers (only people I care about being my girlfriends or my ma).

That's another reason I never deadened mine...was so I couldn't hear anybody else...haha. BTW...I like hearing my big 35's whinin' on the interstate (compliments of Alan Jackson) sooooooo much that I have all the windows rolled down in my Bronk everywhere I go...including the 5 hour drive back here to school...haha.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Man Alan Jackson is the bomb diggity.. I'm going to look up that song right now. I forgot about it.

They don't play him enough!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Man Alan Jackson is the bomb diggity.. I'm going to look up that song right now. I forgot about it.

They don't play him enough!

Cuz he doesn't like to be in the lime light like a bunch of other artists. He doesn't do as many promotions or concerts...he doesn't do fan days and whatnot. He does his music and then isolates himself. Outta sight, outta mind.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Cuz he doesn't like to be in the lime light like a bunch of other artists. He doesn't do as many promotions or concerts...he doesn't do fan days and whatnot. He does his music and then isolates himself. Outta sight, outta mind.

He must have a family he cares about.

If you feel like waiting about a year, I might be interested.

10-4, sounds like a plan. Let me know.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts