Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering wheel problem

I am wondering if anyone can help:
My 94 f-350 steering wheelhas a lot of play in the steering coulmn. I pulled the steering wheel and there is a short shaft about 5 inches long. There is a circlip I removed and then a spring, and then the remnants of what I thing WAS a bering or a bushing.
My question is can I replace the bearing/bushing only or do I need to replace the whole column assembly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!:)

The play is in the short shaft the the wheel bolts on to. When I took it apart there were metal shavings, and what looked like the remnants of a spent bearing. The front end is tight on this truck and the symptoms before I took it apart was that the horn would go off somtimes when I turned the wheel and the wheel itself was " wobbly " and " loose " feeling. Its kind of hard to describe.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Makes sense, John. I think he was having a little doubt because usually the 'loosest' part of the steering system is the steering gear box up front.

Ryan

You can replace those bearings. There are two, a larger diameter and a smaller diameter. They cost less than 15.00 at the Ford parts counter, and they stock them in many dealerships. Repair is straight forward, just pay attention to how things come apart. Do handle the airbag clock spring carefully because the clock spring costs $130.00 to replace if it quits working.

Ford Truck Articles