Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Steering gear question

When I got this truck 2 years ago I adjusted some slack out of the steering gear after making sure the rest of the front end components were good. Now the slack has returned and again all front end components are good. I know you usually adjust a gear once but adjusting one twice is a concern to me. Should I adjust this one some more or just get a replacement? Also the gear is not leaking any power steering fluid and there are no other problems other than the slack.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
the worst thing that will happen is over tightening and braking the seal or just wearing out the gears quicker iether way your replacing the box so i say try it tightening it any way just a little tho and see what happens oh also check the shaft that comes down from the steering wheel there should be a sleeve with a bolt thatyou can tighten a little that may help a bit to i had to do this on a few 96 s that were still under warrentee back in the day

Last edited:
Your right. I'll just snug it up some more and if it goes it goes. Either way it'll need to be replaced eventually but I'll see if I can get some more life out of it.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Hey it lasted longer than mine . I will tighten mine moire then once. EVen the pros tell me no .I've never had luck .

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Id just throw in a new box. Just put one in my 95 F350 and it has no play and steering is so good. Never been like that ever.

Ford Truck Articles