Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starting question.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Ok, here's the problem.

Every time I go to start my truck (not very often atm) I have issues starting it. My starter gear doesn't actuate and mesh with the flywheel, it just spins freely. That or my flywheel teeth are gone (hope not!). I can eventually get it to start, it just takes a while of blippin' the starter before it actually comes out and catches.

What could my problem be? I know the starter on my truck has a way of actuating the starter gear differently than most vehicles. I can't remember what it's called exactly, but is it possible that part has failed and I could just replace that piece? It's the little bulge on the side of the starter.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
jep its the little bulge on the starter easy part to replace..

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
So many people nowdays will just buy a new starter instead of replacing the drive (bendix). Reps to you for doing a task I thought nobody remembered could be done.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Yup, I'm on my way to pick up a new bendix shortly.

Most replace whole starter because Of cost of bendix. I got one last fall Granted it was a quality PC (most auto parts dont get the cheapies) . But for not much more you can get your rebuilt or buy a whole unit.

If the 2 bolts come right out its a 20 minute swap at most . Good luck

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
...hey TheRoadVirus, did ya by chance checkout the flexplate / ringgear all the way around, just to make sure of ALL of it's teeth being okay and all??? :idea: .............gotta commend ya for at least doin this rather than the Cheap-O way as all other's do..........'tool'

mr. Charles

blacksnapon

Staff member
Whenever you replace the starter, always inspect the teeth on the flywheel. An engine has a tendency to stop in the same spots. If you have wear, it will be in 4 places (for a v8) and 3 for a 6 cyl. I've replaced a lot of flywheels and rings because of it.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
I ain't replacin' the starter smilietease. I'm just replacing the bendix (starter drive). I'll keep it in mind when I pull the engine, though. I'm going to go through it from front to back while it's out. New rear main (needs it), flywheel, upgraded clutch, throwout bearing, slave and so on. Thanks for the tip.

....... I ain't replacin' the starter smilietease. I'm just replacing the bendix (starter drive). . . . . .

. . .:headbang: .......... :suspicious: ...........'wtf'........... :eek: . . . . . i thought you had to remove the starter to replace the bendix ? ? ? ? :slap: 'smiliecrazy' :rotz:

. . . . then IF so, all ya had to do was look into the opening and turn the engine to see the complete ring of teeth to make sure of. . . .:wasntme: ...{ even if ya had to use a "Mechaic's_Mirror" 2 C .....smilietease }......

mr. Charles

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Yes, indeed. I do have to remove it to replace, I just read his post and took it differently. smilietease

There would really be no purpose to me even looking? I'm not going to pull the engine/trans 'til after we've moved. smilietease

. . . . coool, understand; jst keep us post'd for here about's changing your bendix if it did indeed fix your starting prob and all....:wavey: .......

mr. Charles

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts