Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Starting problem - cranks slower and slower throughout the day!

Mcduuuugal

Certified Ford Tech
1990 F-250 5.8L A/T
Every morning it will start right up, then every time after that it cranks a little slower each time, about the end of the day (6th time starting) it will just not even turn over for like a full second, then it cranks slowly then starts. Next morning, cranks fast and starts right up.

Has a new starter, new battery, new starter relay (fender mounted.)

any ideas?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Welcome to FTF!
That's a heck of a good one right there sounds to me like a battery problem what is the CCA of the bat?

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Tomorrow more people will be on to help.

Yea, it kinda dies down around here around 11 PM EST (not sure why that is though...you would think it would be later since alot of members are on the west coast.)

And about your question..I have no idea. Does sound like the battery to me though.

Lets hope it's something simple, nothing worse than a vehicle that won't start!

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
check your grounds...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
This really sounds like a bat or Cable issue.
Are you sure they connected good and tight.
I really can't think of any thing it could be.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
i will relay some advice skank gave me cause mine is doing something similar (though i havnt tried it yet so idno if it works) but he said that the issue could be from corrosion on the batt terminals and to get battery terminal cleaner and spray that on let it sit and then hit it with a wire brush

could also be a shorted ground wire which is what i thought mine was and will be the first thing i check if cleaning the batt doesnt fix it

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wire brush FIRST! Then the solvent and finally the sealer.

But for the original poster here, corrosion doesn't sound like his problem. I'm thinking your battery is on it's way out the door. Get a mutlimeter and measure the current across the posts before your first start in the morning. then use it again to get a reading of current across the posts before your last start of the day. If the number is drastically different then you need a new battery.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
brush first eh?

see i knew there was a reason i was procrastinating doing that, i would have done it all wrong ! :D

I would also check the alternator also, but what do i know... [confused]

Alternator isn't being used when starting the engine-- strictly battery power.

Correct, but if alternator wasnt charging the battery after the initial start, it would continue to use power until the 6th start of the day. Probably after which he commutes a distance and allows for significant recharge... [confused]

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I had a starter that acted the same way. Crank fine the first start up then nothing after a few starts. Replaced the battery it was old anyway same thing. then finally the starter died it was less than a year old. Once replaced it cranks over nice and fast everytime.

Starter could need new bushings.
When the ring gear/flywheel gets warm it gets a little larger and will put more pressure on the the starter drive. Then if the bushings are wore the starter will drag against the field poles.

I do not know what type starter you have on a 1990 truck, if it is the newer gear reduction starter (like on the 95 trucks) then the above would not apply.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Start clean all conections (the one behind air pump to motor was the one for me. )I have seen corosion all the way from battery to starter.
And have truck tested to see if battery ,starter (heat related sounds likethis) or alt . Like said above could be one or all .

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
The starter I was stated above was a New starter I replaced the Old broken one and it would turn over Ok the first start then slowly slow till it wouldn't start. traded it in and the warrenty replacemnet one works great. Just because it is New doesn't mean it is good.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles