Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Stalling problem, About ready to swap out to a Carburetor!!!

I have a 94 F250 regular cab with 92,000 miles on it. It has a 351 V8 and E40D Auto. Since i bought it 3 years ago it has had an intermittent stalling issue NOBODY can find. It sets no codes when it happens. The ABS light comes on and it want's to stall. When it does it is a real pain to restart. It has nearly gotten me killed on more than one occasion as i'll start to pull out into an intersection as the ABS light will come on as i am starting to move and it will cough, sputter and sometimes die in the middle of the road!! It will also do it at highway speeds. I'll be going down the road and all of the sudden i will feel a little power loss and the ABS light will be on. Then after a mile or so, most of the time it clears up. I'm to the point of ripping all the fuel injection crap off, installing a new intake manifold, carb and Mallory ignition as i am sick and tired of this. Anyone have any ideas??

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
well does it not give any codes at all? not even an 11 or 111 code?

have you only done KOEO? what bout KOER test?

fair warning swapping that truck over is harder than what ya think.. E4OD is all electronic controlled transmission.. so either stay fuel injected, switch trans, or get trans controller and tune it..

well does it not give any codes at all? not even an 11 or 111 code?

have you only done KOEO? what bout KOER test?

fair warning swapping that truck over is harder than what ya think.. E4OD is all electronic controlled transmission.. so either stay fuel injected, switch trans, or get trans controller and tune it..

No, No codes either way using a Snap On Solus Scanner.........

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Ok. go the old school way of checking codes paper clip. sometimes the newer scanners don't pick up the codes.. I've seen it before..

if no codes still, ecu is bad.. it will at least give 11 or 111 code. (all systems clear)

but otherwise, check fuel pressure at rail via gauge.

Ok. go the old school way of checking codes paper clip. sometimes the newer scanners don't pick up the codes.. I've seen it before..

if no codes still, ecu is bad.. it will at least give 11 or 111 code. (all systems clear)

but otherwise, check fuel pressure at rail via gauge.

What my friend who has been a Ford tech for 25 years can't figure out is why the ABS light comes on and it wants to stall. Unfortunately he is 200 miles away and i havn't been able to get the truck to him to look at.....

blacksnapon

Staff member
What my friend who has been a Ford tech for 25 years can't figure out is why the ABS light comes on and it wants to stall. Unfortunately he is 200 miles away and i havn't been able to get the truck to him to look at.....
The abs module "lives" in a very hostile environment. Its down there in the road spray, and the heat from the engine bay as well. Many times, wiring, or network issues start at the ABS module. This time though, I don't think its the problem. If the ABS module loses power or ground, it will set a "low voltage" code. Why don't you check the main ground connection from the battery to the engine. A momentary loss of power or ground will also cause a stalling or hard start/no start condition.

I had the same hesitation/stalling/sputtering thing happen on our '87 Bronco (but without the ABS light coming on) for about a month---until one day it died about forty feet away from Kragen Auto's parking lot. Sat in the truck for a few minutes, lit a cigar and thought of all the symptoms it had been showing me for a while. Finally decided to check the rail mounted fuel pump---and sure as hell it was hot but was barely vibrating. So I gambled on a new $97.00 Airtex fuel pump in the store, dug out my tools and got her installed inside of an hour. Problem solved.....:cool:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I had the same hesitation/stalling/sputtering thing happen on our '87 Bronco (but without the ABS light coming on) for about a month---until one day it died about forty feet away from Kragen Auto's parking lot. Sat in the truck for a few minutes, lit a cigar and thought of all the symptoms it had been showing me for a while. Finally decided to check the rail mounted fuel pump---and sure as hell it was hot but was barely vibrating. So I gambled on a new $97.00 Airtex fuel pump in the store, dug out my tools and got her installed inside of an hour. Problem solved.....:cool:

Won't apply with OP truck. The gen 9 trucks have just 1 high pressure pump in each tank. Nothing on rail.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts