Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Squeaky Serpentine Belt

Hello all,

I bought my 7.3 Superduty brand new in 2001. It had no serpentine belt noise whatsoever until..... at 65K I noticed all the cracks that always occur after a while. I usually don't respond to the cracks because they are only in the ribs, not on the main solid part of the belt. Anyway, I let my friend talk me into replacing the quiet original belt. I used a NAPA belt because I've always had good luck with their belts. (Gates rubber company) About a month later I had a squeak that was driving me crazy. NAPA said no problem, bring it back and we'll exchange it because it is probably defective. Well the new belt did the same thing. I then went to another supplier and this belt is squeaking also. People told me I needed a new tensioner, so I replaced that. Same squeak. I have either sandblasted, or hit the grooves on each pully with emery cloth, and I cannot get rid of the squeak! Do any of you have any ideas? Maybe an original FORD belt would solve it? Please help because it is VERY ANNOYING !

That is what I thought originally, however, I have cleaned every pully (all the grooves) . I can get the squeak to go away for a few minutes by holding a wire brush (with force) up into the grooves of the BELT to the right side of the alternator while the engine is running. That is why I figure it may be the belt itself. It will also go away for a little while with silicone spray, but returns shortly.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Definitely get a gator back belt. I was chasing a squeak and replacing pullies for months before finally buying a gator back. Fixed the squeak forever.

I replaced the belt with a gatorback which solved the squeaking. Then I could feel a slight vibration at idle that I didn't have before the gatorback. The gatorback was vibrating between the alternator and the power steering pully. I replaced the tensioner....All is well now . Thanks everyone !

I've had/having the same issues with my old truck - where's the best place to order the gatorback belts from?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've had/having the same issues with my old truck - where's the best place to order the gatorback belts from?

I order mine through Amazon. $22.00 shipped to my door. The local auto parts store could get it, but couldn't compete with that price. Just make sure your tensioner is not on its last leg like mine was, as the ribs on the gatorback really grab !

It's amazing that just changing a belt could cause so much noise. Over the years, I've developed a habit of saving the old parts until they're in my way. This saved me a couple times.
On the belt, I've taken a sliver of soap.( like the sliver that breaks in two while taking a shower). Soap is a good but short term lube and can be put on specific parts to determine which part is squeaking. Like Chris said touch one rib of the belt at a time to see which groove is causing the squeak. Glad you got it quiet.

It also works on dresser drawers or cabinet drawers where wood rubs on wood. Bees wax works good too.

Thanks Guys - i ended up ordering at Rockauto as i've used them before with no hitches ...... as per usual the parts are really cheap but the shipping brings a tear to your eye.

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
1987 FORD F-150 5.0L 302cid V8
FOUR SEASONS 7145973 (7145973:p) Belt Tensioner
Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty $ 15.90 $ 0.00 1 $ 15.90 GOODYEAR 4060895 Belt
Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty $ 6.52 $ 0.00 1 $ 6.52
Shipping Express Mail International $ 71.76
Order Total $ 94.18
Visa -$ 94.18

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Thanks Guys - i ended up ordering at Rockauto as i've used them before with no hitches ...... as per usual the parts are really cheap but the shipping brings a tear to your eye.

Part Number Part Type Price EA Core EA Quantity Total
1987 FORD F-150 5.0L 302cid V8
FOUR SEASONS 7145973 (7145973:p) Belt Tensioner
Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty $ 15.90 $ 0.00 1 $ 15.90 GOODYEAR 4060895 Belt
Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty $ 6.52 $ 0.00 1 $ 6.52
Shipping Express Mail International $ 71.76
Order Total $ 94.18
Visa -$ 94.18
HOLY CRAP!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts