Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Speedo drive gear

I just swapped out a 302 C4 combo and replaced it with a 360 C6 combo. Does anyone know if the speedometer drive gear on the end of the cable is different between the 2 transmissions? My speedometer doesn't work and I don't want to tear into things if it is because the gear from the C4 is wrong for the C6. C6 came out of a 74 F100 and the C4 was in a 76 F100.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The driven cable gears will work . Only thing might be if the drive gear in the transmissions are different, that could make the speedometer off and you would have to get the right driven gear for the cable.

I got the speedo cable from the donor truck but had to go out of town for work so I haven't had a chance to change it. Thanks for the replies.

Just a follow up. The speedo gear on the cable is the same for both transmissions since both trucks had the same rear end gear ratio. The gear has what looks like a dowel pin on the end of it that looks like its there to position the gear on the inside of the transmission. What it really does is grip the speedometer cable. It was broke off the gear and I didn't notice it when I installed the cable in the transmission. That allowed the gear to turn without turning the cable. Swapped the gear on the end of the cable and the speedometer works.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts