Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Speaking of tailgates.......

The other thread got me wanting to relate to you guys about my tailgate.

A buddy at work has a 1995 F150 and when he took the aluminum panel off the tailgate, the tailgate had F O R D embossed in the gate. It was indented into the metal.

I have a 1994 F150 with a broken panel, so I excitedly took my panel off hoping it would have the FORD lettering but no such luck.

I ended up fiberglassing over the bolt holes and I am waiting for the decals to arrive so I can put FORD decals on the tailgate.

Just thought I'd share. Jim

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
was his tailgate original to the truck or a replacement from an older one?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The panel has plastic pegs that stick through holes in the gates shell and bolt to the opposite side so it seems impossible that you could remove the panel and find no holes under it. How else would the panel secure to the gate?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Some older tailgates did have the FORD under it, they just made it like that still, or someone added the panal to that tailgate.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Chris, where did you get the idea there were no holes?

He was hoping to find "F-O-R-D" embossed on the 'gate...but didn't. So he filled the holes with fiberglass.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Even is ford was under it, they had the holes still, caus it was the stamp they were still using. Ive seen it in junk yards, panals gone, holes there, says FORD on it.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Chris, where did you get the idea there were no holes?

He was hoping to find "F-O-R-D" embossed on the 'gate...but didn't. So he filled the holes with fiberglass.
I was speaking about his friends gate. From the sounds of it-- his friend took the panel off and you could barely tell there ever was one there-- maybe I misinterpreted.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yes you did, lol Read better. JK Bro.

my buddy's gate had the aluminum panel and when he removed it it had the F O R D indented into the gate, but obviously had the holes for the panel.

On my gate the aluminum panel had been cracked and pop riveted by P.O. so I wanted to just put a 1980's style decal on it. I used fiberglass matting with resin and covered the holes and now when my decals arrive they will be placed on a smooth gate. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I just wanted to let anyone know that there may be an embossed lettered tailgate hidden under your aluminum plate(or not) Jim

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts