Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Speaking of Steering, how much play?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Reading Ben's power assist steering thread got me thinking about my steering. I know these trucks don't drive like new ones, but how much play should there be in steering if at all. I have about 1/2" or so in my steering and everything is tight. I'm thinking my gearbox needs an adjustment, but I don't really want to mess with that because I'm afraid I'll just make it worse. If the adjustment screw is turned in all the way and there still is play, does that mean the gearbox is shot?

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
True. I commute in my Saturn and drive the GMC Jimmy 4X4 in the winter snows. When I first get in Burt it takes a couple minutes to adjust from the tight rack and pinion steering to the rag joint steering. But only a minute or so. I have about the same slack as Buck.... about 1/2"
BTW Buck,.... your truck looks SO COOL!!
Dak

buck, do you have power assist steering? or did you upgrade to integral? if you have power assist, there is about a half inch of movement in the control valve as it does its job directing flow of the hydraulic fluid. but this movement should only be noticable with the truck off. at least thats how mine is.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Well if you've got to bump the wheel from side to side to stay in your lane, that's too much play!!!:rolling laugh:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts