Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

SOme more 351m/400 Info.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Really!
Will have to do that :)

Yeah...I think I can handle my own with mild to semi moderate builds...but when you want higher performance than that...you'll definitely want to talk to them. J pokes his head in here from time to time, but Joe still spends most his time 'over there'...so it might be best to send them a PM...and be sure to post whatever they tell you.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I would also do flat top pistons with them heads and the timing set.

I'd stay away from flat top until you get head work done...but that's just me. Yeah they raise compression, but I personally feel it's almost a 'waste' because you can't optimize what's available.

Well I don't want a wild build, I just want a low turning monster :D

As I've said several times before...go with the kind of build I always go with...with all brand new parts it cost me less than $3000 to attain 350hp/460tq.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'd stay away from flat top until you get head work done...but that's just me. Yeah they raise compression, but I personally feel it's almost a 'waste' because you can't optimize what's available.

As I've said several times before...go with the kind of build I always go with...with all brand new parts it cost me less than $3000 to attain 350hp/460tq.

I wonder what I could get out of a 400 :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
As I was told...it's a compression vs gas thing, and it's better to go with a dished piston with stock to mild build.

I think J said he was expecting 425-450 rwhp, and you see what kinda work he put into his.

I can't remember if I asked you this or not, but what kind of heads are you running Ben?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know that but what kind of head work were ya talkin about? Port polish, springs, just havin em gone through, decked?

To tell you the truth I don't really know, I've never messed with any head work. On another note octane related note, I went with the Comp XE262 cam and can run 91 octane...and Joe told me had I gone with the 256, I woulda had to run premium...no clue how that plays a roll. Like I said, when it comes to calculations, numbers and internal workings, I'm really not the guy to talk to. You wanna know about intakes, carbs, headers, sufficient cams...then I can help.

I can't remember if I asked you this or not, but what kind of heads are you running Ben?

Stock heads...been holdin up fine so far...they say the 351M/400 heads had a tendancy to crack...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The kind that a prostitute does, duh... smilietease ;) :rofl2:

Don't need one of those

Dude, please don't send my Innocent thread to the Lounge :p

I'll second that...good thread with good info...gotta spread the rep though...I'll get you later.

PS...glad to see in the short time I've been here you went from a 335 hater to wanting one.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
PS...glad to see in the short time I've been here you went from a 335 hater to wanting one.

Well I wasn't really hater but I was slowly turning in to one.
It's just every time I thought I learned some thing about these engines it turned out to be false and every thing I ever did hear about them was they were garbage...
Until you guys came around.:wavey:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well that's what this forum is for. But as I've stated before, more often than not, there are better platforms to start with if you have specific kind of build in mind. But if you don't have the cash for a different engine, just want to boost some power, or like to maintain originality...these engines can become veeeeeeeery respectable.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well I look at it this way.
To get the kinda HP and TQ your getting out of your 351m I would have to stroke a 351w to a 393.
So really I can't see any reason for not just goting with a 351 like yours :D

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
With the junkyard availability, I can see the 335 series becoming more popular soon.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well I look at it this way.
To get the kinda HP and TQ your getting out of your 351m I would have to stroke a 351w to a 393.
So really I can't see any reason for not just goting with a 351 like yours :D

Well...you gotta make it a 400 first...but nothing a $200 crank and another couple hundred in pistons can't take care of...or find a good junkyard/parts truck donor. That's the cheapest stroker kit I've found yet.

With the junkyard availability, I can see the 335 series becoming more popular soon.

I agree with this statement. Slowly but surely, I've noticed the aftermarket goody availability getting larger too...hopefully things like the Crane closing won't have a negative impact on that growth.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yeah once I get a little more better off (more money) i'm going to go out and find me a 400bolted to a c6 :D
Gonna pull it apart throw every thing but the block and crank away and start amassing parts :)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
93 octane is premium at home and here at UT...91 is mid grade and the 87 or 89 is the cheap stuff.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts