Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

So im a little crazy...turbo 351m

Hey guys,

To start off i come from a turbo import nissan and toyota world! My last car was a 87 toyota corolla, with a nissan 1.8l turbo motor swap. ive always been a turbo and go fast kind of guy.

here was one of my swaps in my last car
IMG_3949.jpg

tdproam101027.jpg

I was super super close to going semi pro this year in drifting, but i rolled my car and parted it out to purchase my current 78 f150. always loved these old trucks and nothing beats v8 power. my 351m has tons of torque and go for what it is, but im crazy. i dont care if it blows up or anything so thats no problem.

Im thinking something like a GT45 or GT35 turbo, external wastegate at about 5-7psi, intercooler setup, custom exhaust and single turbo, a holley 750 carb modified for a blow thru setup. and im pretty sure if i can tune this thing and set it up right i should be able to make some good power.

My current 351m is in good shape, already running a edelbrock manifold and holley 670 carb full exhaust. but i figure why not turbo it? what do i got to loose? motor blowing up? who cares. i dont lol.

anyways what are peoples opinions and can i get some advise on what to do or how to go about doing this? ive got really good ideas cooked up in my head just need to buckle down and start lol

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
What is it the 335 series? These motors were discontinued quite some time ago. As with all others engines they loose compression and power over time. I suggest at the very minimum a rebuild with stock parts. I'm sure you know but forged internals are suggested.

Throwing a Turbo on that motor will blow it its a fir sure thing be faster to put a 500 shot of nitrous to it.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I say build it right the first time, forged internals, gap your rings correctly and boost the hell outta her...

Take it out practice some drifting in the truck.

Then come back and post lotsa pics and vids...
:)

How often do you see full size trucks on drift courses?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sorry man, dunno much about turbos...but I would love to see one attached to a 335 series. I've only ever seen one other 351M/400 turbo'd, but that was just pics online.

Keep in mind these are pushrod engines not like your used too with OHC...with that said as long as you get the timing and carb setup right go for it the hardest thing to do will be fabbing up a manifold....

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
its better going with an aftermarket EFI system then tune it with a Stinger system

you can use an Edelbrock intake convert it to EFI with fuel rails and Spyder intake then fab up some turbo kit for it..
but for turbo i think a newer engine would be easier ( 302 or 351 with mustang turbo kit )

cool drifting car whas that a 4EGE? or 5ege swap ?

Do it.... and take lots of pics whale your at it..

The gt35 should be more than enough to blow that sucker up, I would think a flipped shorty header "should" work for a manifold.. jmo

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts