Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Smog pump output. Smog experts chime in

After a few weeks hiatus iI am back to work on the 79 F250 460 auto in CA. I was messing with the timing as it seems that the distributor moved and kicked it out of the legal limit. I reset it to 14* like the tag and smog guy quoted me. I got to thinking what he had said made it fail. He said that it was the too high a CO2 level. So 2 things I just found. The sensor/valve at the bottom of the air cleaner that is connected to the passenger valve cover PVC. Am I to understand that it is a temp valve that closes, cutting off vacuum at a preset temperature and allowing the flapper to open on the snorkel to allow cool air in? If this valve is faulty is it the culprit that is keeping my flapper closed all the time even when running? I have to disconnect the hose to the flapper to get cool air in. If it is bad, are these available over the counter or is it search and destroy mission to find? Secondly since the tech said I was not getting enough air could cause the failure so I am wondering if the amount of air the smog is pumping is up to the task or not. Has anyone disconnected the hose at the divertor(if that is what it's called)? while the motor is running at idle is there a large amount of air being pumped or is it just noticeable ? I could not tell if any air was being pumped or not to be honest at the divertor end. Any ideas or insight is helpful. Don't want to just go buy parts(if available) if these may not be the problems. Thanks...Mo

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
D7AZ-9D612-C .. Vacuum Motor-located on air cleaner snout, operates flapper valve (Motorcraft CX-149) / Obsolete

1978 F150/250 460 w/CA emissions - 1978 F100/150 302 without High Altitude carb - 1979 F100/150 302 - 1979 F250 460 - Misc 1977/79 FoMoCo Passenger Cars.

NOS ONLY in San Jose CA has 1 = 800-667-6659.

MUSTANGS ETC in Van Nuys CA has 1 = 818-787-7634.

POECS PARTS in Erie PA has 2 = 888-864-9305.

MILLER OBSOLETE PARTS in Binghamton NY has 2 = 607-722-5371.

1973/79 Ford LIGHT Truck Parts Catalog available on a C/D from hipoparts.com

I cannot post pics on this site, why I dunno. A similar question was asked on the other site, where I (NumberDummy) posted the pic of the 1974/79 460 air cleaner.

Last edited:
Bill the actuator on the snout works when vacuum is applied. I am thinking it is that sensor on the bottom of the cleaner, isn't that what allows the vacuum to be present or not in the air cleaner or is it that other one on the side that the hose to the actuator on the snorkel connects to?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
There should be no reason why you can't post pics Bill...how are you trying to do it?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I was able to post one parts catalog pic the first time I tried it. Nothing has worked since.

Works fine on t'other site.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I was able to post one parts catalog pic the first time I tried it. Nothing has worked since.

Works fine on t'other site.

You loading it to the gallery here or a link to a photo hosting site?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I think I clicked on the above insert image icon.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That should work, don't know why it isn't....hmmm....have you tried directly copying the URL of the image and pasting it in your reply?

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
^ No, and that's too damn much trouble...t'other site is much easier. ^

Are you aware that SteveBricks passed away? He was 57, died from a heart attack. I'll be 70 next month, kinda surprised that I didn't go first...considering lousy health.
Bill the actuator on the snout works when vacuum is applied.

I am thinking it is that sensor on the bottom of the cleaner.

Isn't that what allows the vacuum to be present or not in the air cleaner or is it that other one on the side that the hose to the actuator on the snorkel connects to?
Dunno, I'm a retired parts guy, not a mechanic. Ask Mil1ion, he'll prolly know and has diagrams.
DOZZ-9E607-B.. Carburetor Air Cleaner Air Temperature Control Sensor - color coded blue - covered screw type - includes gasket / Obsolete

1975/76 F100/350 360/390 / 1975/79 F100/150 302 / 1978 F150/350 460 / 1979 F250/350 460 / 1975/79 E150/350 351W / 1975/79 E250/350 460 // Misc 1970/79 FoMoCo Passenger Cars.

NOS PARTS SOURCE in Olathe KS has 1= 913-220-5746.

TISON MOTOR CO. in Estill SC has 1 = 803-625-2551.

POECS PARTS in Erie PA has 1 = 888-864-9305.

NOS PARTS LTD in Waxahachie TX has 2 = 972-937-2201.

AAAA AUTOMOTIVE in Howe TX has 33 = 903-546-0024.

Last edited:
Did you know I sustained a minor stroke 5 weeks ago today?

Found out I am diabetic while thinking all this time I was told I was borderline.

The attaching a photo is a 2-3 step process.

Not the smog pump. I disconnected the hose to the divertor and without disconnecting the hose to the divertor and revved the motor pumps out volumes or no divertor pumps good too. So what is keeping it from getting more air in there?

Andy it's like having sex for the first time a little scared but anxious as he'll to do it and all smiles when it's done. : )

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts