Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Smog pump/ Air pump

I'm interested on clearing up some of my engine bay. I've seen threads on bypassing the smog pump and pulling out some of the tubes and hoses. I'm fortunate enough not to have to worry about emissions tests. Is their any benefit to keeping it or removing it. Thanks for the info

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Other that removing clutter, not a lot of benefit. My understanding was it was for the Catalytic converter...which I suspect is prolly no longer on your truck anyway...:rofl:

You might free up 1 or 2 horsepower.

Last edited:
Removes the chance of the air pump failing and burning up the belt. It also might remove the chance of an exhaust leak. Mine was leaking exhaust from the tube that ran between the back of the heads. Just required a different belt and a couple of bolts to plug off the ports on the back of the heads.

My cats are long gone. So my chances are is that some of those tubes are just dangling anyways. Also if I bypass the pulley do you know what size of belt. I'm not interested in power gain just less stuff in the way when working in the bay.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I have no clue on the belt...sorry.

I parked in from of the parts store with tools and tried different belts until I found one that just barely fit on. Took me about 15 minutes.

I went and looked at it today and unless I pull the pump it won't work they are in line of each other, or a dummy pulley might work. The engine is the 460, a different layout than the smaller engines.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
They make a A/C pulley delete, maybe you can alter it to work for the air pump?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts