Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sluggish Power Steering

1994 f150; 6 cyl; automatic; 140k miles: lately in the cold weather, my power steering is extremely stiff and steering wheel is very hard to turn for just a short distance. No belt squeaking and PS fluid level is correct. Serpentine belt is fairly new but broken in and I have a fairly new tensioner assembly. After a very short distance and turning one or two corners, but before truck heats up to normal temperature, PS seems to go back to normal. What's the deal here? Thanks.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So is it stiff on the whole turn, or would you describe it as a 'dead spot' when it's acting up?

Ryan

Power steering woes

I'd say the power steering is pretty stiff for the first turn, not at just a dead spot. However it breaks free and acts normally after a very short while, maybe just a single turn. I like the idea of the fluid being old because the truck sat up for a long time before I bought it and I've never changed it out. Is there an easy way to drain the fluid or is it just a matter of removing a hose and letting it drain out? Will do this one day soon when the fluid is hot and will flow well. Thanks for the input.

Fellro

Staff member
the power steering fluid has broken down due to age and needs to be changed.. its gummig up and thickening due to the cold.

thins out as it warms up..

My sister's 92 is doing this as well, with all new fluid as I had the steering box apart to put seals in. I didn't mess around in the valving area, so I suspect a sticking valve or such in there. The pump is new as well. So the fluid part of this doesn't quite apply... Might be varnish left over from before, but even that wasn't all of that old, due to the conversion... I would sooner say sticking valve in the steering box.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts