Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Sloppy Steering!

Michigan
This is a tricky one....

My truck has had some pretty wicked steering ever since i bought it.. Since then ive thrown a whole new tierod steering kit under it and aligned.. Well its discouraging and makes me mad and want to sell the truck every time i get in it..

I lifted the truck up in the air and everything is tight as new. But the truck still wonders at times.. Most would think its because of the tires.. Buuut acually it seams to steer better with the wide arse tires on it compared to my old stock size tires.

So whats all your thoughts? Maby the steering gear box has to much play in it?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I would have a friend get in the truck and move the steering wheel back and forth, just enough to eat up the slop, while you watch what is happening. If it is in the steering box, you will be able to see the shaft going into the box moving, but the pitman arm staying still. Use caution if you decide to try to adjust the box, too much adjustment will cause premature wear and damage.

A steering stabilizer will just mask the problem and may cause it to accelerate.

Michigan
ok thanks all. I have had my dad do that and i noticed the steering shaft was moving but the pitman arm wasnt.. Il go buy a new box this week. I tried to adjust the screw on mine and i dont have the time to mess with breaking the stud off LOL

I have yet to own a truck that acually steers nice.. Anyone have a truck this style out there thats not a handfull to drive?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My brother's F250 has tight steering... He claims that it's got something to do with the steering components in the half-ton trucks... Which is quite possible. I've had two 9th gen F150s and both of them have been super sloppy.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Believe it or not, mine drives perfect. But, everything is brand new underneath, and a good rebuilt steering box is in it.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
My brother's F250 has tight steering... He claims that it's got something to do with the steering components in the half-ton trucks... Which is quite possible. I've had two 9th gen F150s and both of them have been super sloppy.

I believe that the boxes are the same from F150-F350 for gen 9's.

Michigan
I was also thinkin maby the pivot bushing could be bad? But again i couldnt move one suspension component on this truck...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
If you can see the pitman arm not move when the wheel does, you definitely have a steering box issue. You may have other small problems as well, but when it comes to steering problems, one step at a time.

Michigan
Thanks man. Il get a box for it :)

just a thought, i could be WAYY off.. but on the shaft that connects the sheel to the box (colum i guess) coulg one of the U joints be bad or worn... would that cause sloppy steering?

Michigan
yea it would. Il look at that next if the problem is still there..

str8racing

half fast mechanic
I had a problem with the steering, changed box twice in two years. Was still too much slop. Don't know what it's called but had problem with slop on the bottom of steering column that hooks to box, it is tapered square and fits inside another square ( worn and sloppy) I have tried some small wedges and seems to be working.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
FWIW, my '93 wandered down the road like a lost puppy from day one to day last. I blame the Twin I-Beam setup, and the constant camber changes. Changing to bigger tires did help a bit, but I think it's still characteristic of the breed.

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
Hi guys I wonder if any resolution worked out for the OP. I've been trying to fix the sloppy steering and wanderlust that my truck has. Like the OP, my truck looks perfect and everything appears tight. I had someone look at the steering shaft while I turned the wheel and it turns fine (I guess there is no rag joint between the wheel and the lower shaft. I had it aligned again yesterday and it's a little better, but still not stellar. Oh yeah, I did repack the bearings when I did the front brakes about a week ago.
I don't think he looked to see if the pitman arm moved when the steering wheel shaft turned though... I have not tried adjusting the steering box yet. I also would like to know where these tapered square joints are so I can look at them and how to access them... Anyway, I took this video of my steering wheel to show the slop. The engine is off and the key is in the "accessory" position (the background noise is the AC fan and the radio). If you take a look maybe you can tell me if this is normal or not.

Thanks

http://youtu.be/Hz1i-FYqLcQ

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts