Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

sliding rear window

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
What is the difference between a 73-79 sliding rear and 80-96? When I was restoring my 77, I had an 80-96 slider and ordered the weatherstripping for it, but then went another route. I no longer have the window, but I have the weather seal and was wondering if it would work for a 73-79 slider. If not, I may just hit a junkyard and get a 80-96.

There is a difference in weather-stripping on 78-79's than others because 78-79's use a track-lock chrome strip.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Buck -

Don't use the 80-96 rubber with the 73-79 window.
The 73-79 windows where thicker, too. The later windows were the same shape and would fit, or course, but they were just thicker. So, the rubber won't fit properly.

I've also heard this from other folks...maybe even on here?: Order the seal for the year of the window you're using - not the year of the truck it's going in.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Order the seal for the year of the window you're using - not the year of the truck it's going in.

That's what I've always heard and adhered to.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Buck -

Don't use the 80-96 rubber with the 73-79 window.
The 73-79 windows where thicker, too. The later windows were the same shape and would fit, or course, but they were just thicker. So, the rubber won't fit properly.

I've also heard this from other folks...maybe even on here?: Order the seal for the year of the window you're using - not the year of the truck it's going in.

That's what I've always heard and adhered to.

I had a feeling that this was the case. I think when I ordered the seal way back when, I ordered it for a later style window. I may end up just going to the JYs and looking for a later style window anyway. I'll take a better look at what I got. Thanks.

Ford Truck Articles