Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

slave cyinder for manual transmission

i can't find anyone who can actually tell me how to bleed the slave cyinder on my truck...its a 1994 f250 7.3 with the 5 speed transmission..can you guys help me

...tell me how to bleed the slave cylinder on my truck...
its a 1994 f250 7.3 with the 5 speed transmission..
Mine bled itself.
No kidding.
I basically opened the bleeder and out came the "brake" fluid. LOL :)

The red cap is keeping the line-fitting clean (from the master cylinder)...
guidepin.jpg

...the upper fitting is the bleeder. Mine used a 7/16" wrench (or 11mm).

I discovered that I could reach the bleeder with a wrench from the driver's
seat and work the clutch pedal at the same time with the hatch cover off.
I don't know for a fact, but I believe that pedal pumping business wasn't
necessary anyway.

The "bubble relief hole" in the master cylinder is at the -very end- of the
release stroke! The push rod needs to have a tiny bit of play in it for the
system to work good. I had the rear-end of the Bronco up at the time for
other work so left it up while bleeding the clutch system, that worked to
my advantage to release the bubbles see?

Mine worked perfect right from the start and I hadn't messed with it since.

Alvin in AZ
ps- Is it ok to use the word "rear"?
pps- Don't want to offend anybody.

Fellro

Staff member
I too generally haven't had it that hard to bleed. I give it a pump with the bleeder open, and then the fluid generally flows. Works on brakes too. Minimizes bleeding effort. Typically, if it won't clear out that way, do like on brakes, hold the pedal down, open bleeder, then close, release pedal. The spring pressure of the clutch will help as you get close.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im the same with all the above posts. Made sure it was topped off with fluid, cracked the bleeder and out came air then fluid. Make sure you've got somebody to monitor your fluid level as the reservoir is not very big..

basically it bleeds its self with the weight of the fluid pushing the air out...

well there is 2 types of slaves you can get. being a 5spd 7.3 you slave is external, not internal like shown.

If your lucky you got a slave with a bleeding valve. which would be like bleeding a brake for a car or truck.
If yours doesnt. You will have to "bench Bleed" it...
When i bench bleed mine, I put it in a vice on like a 30deg angle, with the piston pointing down. then fill the slave with fluid and pump the piston, fill again, pump some more untill no more air comes out. Once your done that carefully install it onto the truck. And remeber to keep that plastic strap on the slave when you install it.

Fellro

Staff member
well there is 2 types of slaves you can get. being a 5spd 7.3 you slave is external, not internal like shown.

If your lucky you got a slave with a bleeding valve. which would be like bleeding a brake for a car or truck.
If yours doesnt. You will have to "bench Bleed" it...
When i bench bleed mine, I put it in a vice on like a 30deg angle, with the piston pointing down. then fill the slave with fluid and pump the piston, fill again, pump some more untill no more air comes out. Once your done that carefully install it onto the truck. And remeber to keep that plastic strap on the slave when you install it.
But remember to unstrap it when you have it in place... I broke mine because I forgot to, so in the future, it won't be able to strap back.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts