Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Skank!!!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
[confused] no engine bay shots.
I can surely get some, but modern engines just don't do a whole lot for me... (to look at, that is) All the interesting stuff is generally covered up. Though if you peer down inside the bar you can see the turbos and a lot of the duct-work for the intake/intercooler which I suppose is fun.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
No buyers remorse whatsoever. Haven't had an updates because honestly nothing has changed since my last updates, I'm still in love with this truck.

Now that I've had a week of commuting to work (read: crowded silicon valley freeway driving, and switching freeways 3 different times on my way to work) I'm averaging 16-17mpg. That's pretty darn good considering the type of driving it is.

I've been babying the accelerator and watching the mpg screen in this in-dash display and can attain 17-18mpg with mixed, freeway biased, driving. So in the past few days I've been forcing myself not to watch the mpgs and just drive it comfortably and I can't seem to put the average below 15-16mpg for almost all city driving.

Laying out the numbers I get something like this:
-Freeway driving, cruising mostly around 70mph: 18-19mpg
-City driving and babying the go pedal: 16-17mpg
-City driving normally without watching mpgs: 15-16mpg
-Mixed freeway and city with fairly regular driving: 17mpg

With all that info, I'm hoping after break-in that I'll average about 19mpg on mixed driving and maybe 20-21mpg on long trips. Most EcoBoost guys are seeing 2-3mpg more after they pass about 2500 miles.

She's got about 540 miles right now :D Got her washed today (don't worry, I found a place that does HAND WASHING). Cost me $40 but it looks amazing. I'll take some photos in the light tomorrow. This paint friggin SPARKLES when it's clean-- you can really see the metallic flake a lot.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Only 540 miles? Jeez... I've put 400 on my Ranger since Friday morning. (I was gonna say yesterday, but the clock says it's Sunday now...)

(Might have to take that back, though...I checked the spreadsheet where I track gas mileage and I guess that's about how long it took me to put the first 500-ish on that truck, too.)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Lol. I'm not afraid of driving it-- just don't really have anywhere to go! Most of those miles came from the trip to my mom's place last weekend. This weekend Trista and I have been driving my truck to run errands instead of her car usual, but that's not really many miles.

Can't wait 'til she's broken in so I can (a) see if the mileage improves and (b) give those turbos some exercise :D Then again, if I start doing (b) then (a) won't get the chance to happen :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know the tune must be different in your truck with the added torque, but the OL averages 25mpg with our Ecoboost..it has been that way from nearly the start with 16000 miles on it now. That would be about 21 US mpg.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
glad you're enjoying your new truck. Not an ecoboost but according to the in dash display I can get 21 - 21.5 mpg if I drive it nice on the highway. With mixed driving for the week (with more highway than city) I'm a little over 20mpg.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hide behind the couch if you'd like but those numbers are pretty danged good for a V8.

I've definitely battled myself about whether or not I should have gone with the 5.0L... It wasn't even really a consideration while I was purchasing this truck but now I'm wondering how things would have turned out if I had gone with that engine. At the end of the day, I always come back to being satisfied that I chose the EcoBoost-- slightly better MPGs and significantly more power. Just miss the V8 growl :(

Last edited:

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I had the 4.6 in my previous truck and it did what I asked it to do, so for the price and what I needed going with the 4.6 wasn't a big deal for me. I had thought about going up to the 5.4 but I'm happy with what I got.

I don't tow anything and except for the occasional big item purchase for the house I don't haul much either. If I was towing something I would probably take a bigger hit in the mpg's than with the other engine choices.

The only issue I've had so far is with the sync syncing with my phone but I'm not sure if it's the sync, my phone, or maybe a combination of both.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I've definitely battled myself about whether or not I should have gone with the 5.0L... It wasn't even really a consideration while I was purchasing this truck but now I'm wondering how things would have turned out if I had gone with that engine. At the end of the day, I always come back to being satisfied that I chose the EcoBoost-- slightly better MPGs and significantly more power. Just miss the V8 growl :(

I think that comes with the territory, you'll end up second guessing yourself or finding that you wish you did something different for a while (at least I have). I look back and think a manual trans would be cool now and that I shoulda sprung for the 5.0...but at the end of the day, you just have to stick with your initial choice (because that's usually the right one) and decide if it does what you planned on it doing.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I think that comes with the territory, you'll end up second guessing yourself or finding that you wish you did something different for a while (at least I have). I look back and think a manual trans would be cool now and that I shoulda sprung for the 5.0...but at the end of the day, you just have to stick with your initial choice (because that's usually the right one) and decide if it does what you planned on it doing.
Yeah-- I keep coming back to deciding that I really am happy with EXACTLY how I built this truck.

And Scott you're right-- the ride comfort is definitely improved without the loud exhaust. Not to mention that the loud exhaust always made it FEEL like I was burning more fuel, especially when I'd lay into the accelerator. Even still, I love loud exhaust in a bad way...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Yeah-- I keep coming back to deciding that I really am happy with EXACTLY how I built this truck.

And Scott you're right-- the ride comfort is definitely improved without the loud exhaust. Not to mention that the loud exhaust always made it FEEL like I was burning more fuel, especially when I'd lay into the accelerator. Even still, I love loud exhaust in a bad way...

loud exhausts do make you wanna roll into the throttle a lil harder just to hear them pipes holler and scream.... i do with the F250 but, uh, its slow w/ them 33's...

Ford Truck Articles