Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

single or duals?

I have a 73 F 250 it used to belong to one of the local fire dept's. This truck was used as a mini pumper, the truck to the best of my knowledge was ordered with a one ton rear axel . My question is put a pickup bed on it and put single wheels on or leave the duals on? Tell me what you think. Thanks

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
The hubs and axle width's are different for srw or drw...
It will look goofy with one rear wheel if it s drw set up...
i say put what it supposed to have on it.
Just cause its a 1 ton dont make it a drw...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
^^Being somewhat lazy about tracking down parts I don't have...

I'd be tempted to build a flatbed over whatever axle is under the thing, so long as it's in good shape.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I would leave it the way it was built, imo. Post up some pics so we can get a look at it.

Thanks for the reply, ill try to get some pictures up for you. Its hard to do sometimes with a Blackberry. The person I bought the truck from put a dumping flat bed on it. The body needs some work, they use a lot of road salt in the winter here and the truck was used to plow city streets by the township after the fire dept took the truck out of service.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Personally, to add a little more function, I'd add a bed...but I'd find a srw axle first. However, I wouldn't add a typical bed...I'd probably go with a loggers box. If this is on a budget though, keep it as is. I can't remember the VIN's off the top of my head, but if this was a cab/chassis truck, the 3rd digit should be 7 or 8. And since you said it was a 250 and Ford didn't do 4x4 duallies, your first 3 digits of your VIN should be F27/8.

Thanks for the reply, you have me deep in thought now! The vin is F26YCQ45972. I did verify that it did belong to a local VFD they probly added the ton axel so they would have a 4X4 brush truck. The rear springs are 12 leaf with overloads.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
VIN seems to check out...I'm getting an Oct. 72 build date. So it looks like they ordered the 4x4, added the drw and the flatbed. I always that that was a cool looking combo...so I'd leave it. Originally, I thought you were talking about a 2wd.

Here is some more to think about! I have my 66 with a 429 I haven't started on yet, I would like to finish them both but I'm not sure I will be able to. I'm thinking about taking the 429 out of the 66 and selling the rest of the truck and put that money toward the 73 and put the 429 in the 73? Any suggestions!

Middletowne?

I have a 73 F 250 it used to belong to one of the local fire dept's. This truck was used as a mini pumper, the truck to the best of my knowledge was ordered with a one ton rear axel . My question is put a pickup bed on it and put single wheels on or leave the duals on? Tell me what you think. Thanks

Just curious, did that truck come from Middletowne Md.? Some fire companies had aluminum utility beds, if yours is aluminum you should be able to sell it. You might want to measure wheelbase first to be sure a pickup bed will work. Randy.

No the truck is a Wv truck. After the VFD took the truck out of service the township took over the truck and used it to plow the city streets for many years. It has a steel bed on it now.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here is some more to think about! I have my 66 with a 429 I haven't started on yet, I would like to finish them both but I'm not sure I will be able to. I'm thinking about taking the 429 out of the 66 and selling the rest of the truck and put that money toward the 73 and put the 429 in the 73? Any suggestions!

That would definitely be a hot setup. However, I'd find a 'throwaway' engine to put the 66...it'll bring in more cash as a runner than a rolling chassis. I'm sure you could find an engine/tranny combo for a couple hundred to throw in the 66...usually doing that will up a sale price by about a grand.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts