Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Since everyone was helpful before, may I ask another question?

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Online place to buy parts?

Tore the inside apart today. Took out passenger seat, middle seat and bench back seats. The carpeting is skanky....bad. Rust on all the bolts and I'm seeing a bit of mold. I do have a good carpet guy, but with the rust spots would it be better to buy new preformed carpet? Is there such an item?

Thanks guys, I'm finally getting excited about having a truck (provided the replacement engine works fine)

Evangeline

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
there are quite a few places that sell pre molded carpet. Google will give you a few, ebay, jc whittney, the list goes on.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
ah yes....but who is reliable?
The issues of late with this truck has made me quite leery, so I'm gathering opinions.

Who had shopped with whom and had good customer service & prices? Please??

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
can't go wrong with jc whittney.

I spent about $100 for the carpet in my 89.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I'll go ahead and advise you to find out where, if any, the water intrusion is coming from and fix it. I had water pooling under the vinyl mat in my F-Superduty and it rusted the floor up a good bit. Now she's fixed, sound deadened, and re-covered!

Also, find a good mold remediator (sprays from the home store, etc) to take care of that - no good for new carpet!

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
I'll go ahead and advise you to find out where, if any, the water intrusion is coming from and fix it. I had water pooling under the vinyl mat in my F-Superduty and it rusted the floor up a good bit. Now she's fixed, sound deadened, and re-covered!

Also, find a good mold remediator (sprays from the home store, etc) to take care of that - no good for new carpet!

I've had the windshield replaced already ($170 non-safelite) and he removed the rear backup light and "fixed" it. But I have this horrible feeling it's the rear slider. Was quoted $300 if he uses one of his old gaskets from his Ford, $344 if he uses a new gasket. Showed me how to pull it back and clean it really good, then to hold a garden hose on the cab top.

I've noticed the window moldings, where the window slides down into the door, are cracked. Where would I find those?

Spent yesterday taking out all seats but the drivers and pulling up carpeting. Going down to the auto store this am, purchasing a star-seatbelt bit and taking those out too. Then I'll remove the carpeting completely and clean it using methods I read on this forum last night.

Last edited:

silverz51

Georgia Chapter member
I read in one of these forums how another guy cleaned his carpet. He apparently removed the old carpet and pressure washed it at the car wash. Then he let it dry and air out and put it back in. Apparently it worked great. Saved him some $$ too. Of course, I'd treat the mold issue and take care of whatever leakage is there to cause it.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I have removed my carpet and washed it, came out pretty clean too....

Not sure if your dead set on a rear slider, but the one piece windows can be had for 20 bucks or so from a junkyard...

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
I cleaned it out yesterday and today. Will be going to the car wash while the truck is back at the mechanics

tried to upload files but get error message
"Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file", to tired to figure it out right now.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Nice truck. That one's worth spending a little money on.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Nice truck. That one's worth spending a little money on.

hehehe....I found a quarter encrusted in gunk, dug it out with a screwdriver....there was a penny underneath. *gag*..... Hopefully the truck will smell better, unlike the mold, pee, skanky smell it's had.:(

But thank you! I keep telling myself that she looks good, just needs a bit of work...*sigh*

About those window seals

Sounds good things are looking up for you. I've been researching some weather stripping for windows on my 96 F150. I haven't bought them yet, I have a few more pressing things to do on the truck but here's the web sites.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=17

http://www.jcwhitney.com/inner-and-...ep/p2008581.jcwx?filterid=c3814d19344y1996j1#

http://info.automotix.net/bodyparts...6&part_type=exterior_body_parts&part_subtype=

Some of these are called glass seals, other places call them weather strips. I bet they're the same thing.
Some of these places are pricey and for a particular year are out stock but I've had good luck with J.C. Whitney working on my first cars I've had.

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
I did buy the ones from lmc over a month ago....they're sitting here on the counter as I still don't have possession of the truck.

2nd mechanic is having issues with the ball joints on passenger side...*sigh*. It's been what...3 months...I do know he's had the truck 50+ days of my replacement engine 90 day warranty and that scares the crap out of me. I've tried begging, cooking treats and I finally went off on him. Worked for about a week.

Oh..I also ordered new carpeting, have refinished the center wood console, shampooed all the seats and seat belts, just waiting to put it all back together and get a canopy.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'd be a bit upset. I pulled down the front end on my 94 3 days ago, and the ball joints gave me a fit. the truck is back on the road today. what is the problem of your ball joints?

blacksnapon

Staff member
I did buy the ones from lmc over a month ago....they're sitting here on the counter as I still don't have possession of the truck.

2nd mechanic is having issues with the ball joints on passenger side...*sigh*. It's been what...3 months...I do know he's had the truck 50+ days of my replacement engine 90 day warranty and that scares the crap out of me. I've tried begging, cooking treats and I finally went off on him. Worked for about a week.

Oh..I also ordered new carpeting, have refinished the center wood console, shampooed all the seats and seat belts, just waiting to put it all back together and get a canopy.
Ball joints are max 3 hours.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts