Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Side steps for 1977 F150

HI All,

Been looking for side steps for my 1977 F150; wife is having trouble getting in and I am lifting it another 21/2 inches so it's time for a step.

Problem: I can't seem to find anything that will bolt on with just a few drilled holes. It appears I need to fabricate brackets and such. Anyone been through this? any personal experience or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Marc

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
You are not alone. I looked for quite a few times for a set of steps and came up empty.

I did finally buy a set of steps that bolt onto the frame and extended out to the door. They were only good for about 100 pounds because of the distance from the mounting point to the door. I took them off because they were unsafe.

Please post here if you find something that fits your needs.

How about running boards?
Chrome checker plate .

Reg cab or SC?

All the women in my life loved them.
They don't really work on a 4x4 though.

TruckatBownessPark7.jpg

77truck1.jpg

I've looked at doing that on a mate's 78 .... short of trading the wife in for a taller model running boards would be an option but you need quite a few holes and associated brackets to fit properly and then you have the issue of trapping mud/water in behind them.

Maybe make your own running board setup like this but without the folding option as at least there are not so many places for mud to get trapped.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Been looking for side steps for my 1977 F150; wife is having trouble getting in and I am lifting it another 2 1/2 inches so it's time for a step.

Problem: I can't seem to find anything that will bolt on with just a few drilled holes. It appears I need to fabricate brackets and such.
1973/79 F100/350 & 1978/79 Bronco:

D3TZ-9920092-A .. Dealer installed accessory "Glide Out Step Kit" .. Attaches to bottom of door and frame rail / Obsolete

NOS PARTS LTD in Waxahachie TX has 1 = 972-937-2201.

KAMA OBSOLETE PARTS in East Bethel MN has 1 = 763-434-0123.

MCDONALD OBSOLETE PARTS CO. in Rockport IN has 3 = 812-359-4965.

If y'all want to see the Ford truck parts catalog pic of this step, email me: [email protected]

Mil1ion (Dennis) has the catalog, can post pics from it: Pic located here: 1973/79 truck catalog, Body Illustration Section 200, page 22.

Last edited:
side step for 1977 F150

Wow,
Thanks for all the responses. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but at least I know I am not the only one wondering about this.

I don't like running boards and trading in the wife is probably not an option...LOL...

The glide out step kit sounds interesting; thanks for the info BKW; I'll email you for pics.

Someone should design one, might make some $.

marc

I think this is it.

ForumRunner_20150414_200201.jpg

side step

Thanks for the diagram of the slide step Mil1ion! Not too thrilled with it so let me pose another question to the gallery.

Has anyone modified a commercial step like a bully or Carr and made it work? And if yes how did you do it?

As always thanks for all yer opinions and ideas it is greatly appreciated and entertaining too...

Marc

Side step for 1977 f150

Very interesting mountain man; now we are getting somewhere! Did you have to fabricate angle iron or modify the rocker in any way or did it just bolt on?

marc

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I have a set of Bully steps on my '79 F-150. They bolted up fairly easily and they are solid. I also added a grab handle above the passenger door for wife's easier entry.

May I ask what you mounted them to? Did you weld or bolt? I would like to get a set of steps, but don't want running boards.

They are bolted to the bottom of the cab just inside of the rocker panels. You just have to drill a few mounting holes. Two of the holes required a very short drill bit mounted on my air angle grinder. But they are very solid!!

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
They are bolted to the bottom of the cab just inside of the rocker panels. You just have to drill a few mounting holes. Two of the holes required a very short drill bit mounted on my air angle grinder. But they are very solid!!

Thank you, Sir!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts