Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Showing off my Flare

Reid04

North Carolina Chapter member
I know there aren't many FlareSide owners on this site, so here is my 1992 F-150 FlareSide I-6. This is my grocery getter/trailer pulling/lawnmower/mulch hauler. I have a company car so this is not a daily driver. I spent the weekend washing/waxing & detailing her efor the first time in a year.
I had some pretty extensive knee surgery in April so I'm just now able to get out & under & crawl around to work on the ole girl. I took all of the moulding off & repainted it gloss black then shot it with a clear coat. I am planning on taking the valance/air dam off so I can straighten out the bumper at some point. My goal for next year is to blackout the truck. A buddy of mine works at a bodyshop so he's going to give me a break on powdercoating the bumpers & wheels a gloss black. I will probably buy smoke tinted headlights & tailights too. I just wanna say thanks to everyone on this site for inspiring me to get back out there & make my truck into something I can be proud of again as she had basically gone to pot in the last year or so.

Attachments

• fordtruck 006.jpg
  • fordtruck 009.jpg
  • fordtruck 010.jpg
  • fordtruck 005.jpg
  • fordtruck 004.jpg

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Reps for having a sweet *** truck :D

Its VERY RARE to see a single cab FlareSide, most of them were extended

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Especially with a 351W quite a few of them have the 300-6 and 5 speeds. That is one nice lookin truck you've got there. You're right, there aren't many Flaresides on here but we're here man.....welcome to the site. The blackout should look really good and I can't wait to see what you do with it. There is a spray on tint that you can do yourself to your markerlights if you wish....it's called VHT NiteShade. The Advance Auto near me actually sells it so you may want to check it out.

Reid04

Who else has dual gas tanks on their flareside? Was this standard or an option? My Flareside has the "XLT" trim on the interior dash but I'm not really sure why it would be an XLT. It has no power options or cruise or tilt. Just curious.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I believe dual tanks were standard on all trucks of this generation EXCEPT for single cab short bed 4x4 trucks, because there is not enough room under the truck for the midship tank with the t-case in the way.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Who else has dual gas tanks on their flareside? Was this standard or an option? My Flareside has the "XLT" trim on the interior dash but I'm not really sure why it would be an XLT. It has no power options or cruise or tilt. Just curious.

i have the dual tanks also. and my dash has the XLT trim on the dash also and i have power windows, locks, cruise, tilt basically everything possible.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
Awesome looking truck man. What gear ratio does that truck have? How's she pull??

Reid04

Awesome looking truck man. What gear ratio does that truck have? How's she pull??

Not sure about about gear ratio, all I know is it has 187K with original motor & tranny. It still pulls really well, but she is scheduled for a upgrade in February. Seems like I always have to gear down to pull any real hills anymore, as if the gear ratio in 4-5 is just too high. But, like I said, 187K and STILL GOING!! smilieFordlogo

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Not sure about about gear ratio, all I know is it has 187K with original motor & tranny. It still pulls really well, but she is scheduled for a upgrade in February. Seems like I always have to gear down to pull any real hills anymore, as if the gear ratio in 4-5 is just too high. But, like I said, 187K and STILL GOING!! smilieFordlogo
have you always had the problem of pulling up hill? if not> you might possibly be able to just swap rear gears to a lower gear (numerically higher) and that could solve your problem.

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
I think 3.55 is the best all around or the 300 - I wouldn't gear it any lower. I have 4.11 and even with 31'' tires she sucks down fuel on the highway like it's going out of style. I wish I had listened to everyone and gone to 3.55, even 3.73, instead of 4.11. Just a thought in case you were considering re-gearing your truck.

Reid04

Yeah, I'm dropping in the 3.55. Since this isn't my daily driver fuel mileage doesn't really concern me. Also, installing new CAT & a straight pipe, can't wait till February so I can get started!!! (Too broke right now, Christmas & two kids with January birthdays)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts