Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shoulder belt attachment point ?

Inclosed are two views of the drivers side inside corner of the cab. I have been told that FORD put a threaded nut with a cover plug on it for the third point belt attaching place. I have checked it all over , non to be found. The paint looks to be original and matches the paint under the glass seals, so i don't believe they have been removed filled and repainted. Could they have just been left out. This is in a 73 F-100 and i have seen them in older trucks. Where should they be ?

Attachments

• driver cab corner -2.JPG
  • driver cab corner.JPG
73's didn't come with the attachment point. I can't remember which year they started.

Somebody on another forum ask the same question for a 1970 f-100 and another person posted a picture of a 70 with it caped off. It was a lap belt only truck so i thought it would be in my 73. From what i have found out so far from the other forums it was a hit and miss thing , some had it some never, clear back to 1970 at least. Just my luck ,i got one they missed.

doesnt answer your question but

found on that other forum
ThePartNumberMaster/MrBill said:
Shoulder belts were first offered on F100/350's in 1968 as an option, and continued to be optional until midyear 1977 when they became standard equipment.

my 74

Attachments

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
Might not have shoulder straps, but lap belts were required since 66. Unless you go with buckets or split bench of more modern vehicles, you won't find shoulder straps on the seats themselves.

Might not have shoulder straps, but lap belts were required since 66. Unless you go with buckets or split bench of more modern vehicles, you won't find shoulder straps on the seats themselves.

That's what i mean modern seats. I know when they were first put in vehicals . I'v been working on old cars and trucks since 1957. I would like to have a late ford seat but others might do, even G M .

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
My '78 has shoulder belts. The '79 I bought new only had lap belts with no provision for optional shoulder belts?????? I'm sure they were offered as an option, but there was nothing in the cab corner indicating a "delete" option.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
My 77 has shoulder belts, the 75 supercab just has lap belts.

My '78 has shoulder belts. The '79 I bought new only had lap belts with no provision for optional shoulder belts?????? I'm sure they were offered as an option, but there was nothing in the cab corner indicating a "delete" option.

That is odd, I have owned four 79 F-150 and one 79 bronco and the all had the three point shoulder belts. That's why i miss them in my 73. I will put them in one way or another. I have welded the plates that can be bought in other older cars. I just never wanted to have to refinish and paint the inside of my truck as it is in good condition.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
That is odd, I have owned four 79 F-150 and one 79 bronco and the all had the three point shoulder belts. That's why i miss them in my 73. I will put them in one way or another. I have welded the plates that can be bought in other older cars. I just never wanted to have to refinish and paint the inside of my truck as it is in good condition.

Please post some pictures of what you do to add shoulder belts, if you go that route.

Please post some pictures of what you do to add shoulder belts, if you go that route.

I hope not to have to put a plate inside of it as it will not be as easy as the others i have done. If it was open at the top or bottom i could slide the plate in with out doing much damage. The way it's closed up all i can think of is open it up inside , weld the plate in, then close it up and weld that metal to the plate. But then i have to do a bunch of metal working and finish to repaint.
I'm going to look real hard for a more modern seat that has the belts in it after the cold winter is over with. I have saw some since i bought the truck but never checked them out as i was planing to upholster the old seats like original.

Fellro

Staff member
Depends on the belts you put in, but the ones that are in the 78's I have, the retractor is on the post, and there is a cover that hides the area behind it. That would make it such that the hole to put the nut in behind could be hidden. I am guessing you are expecting it to be a single shoulder bolt mount.
041.jpg

Depends on the belts you put in, but the ones that are in the 78's I have, the retractor is on the post, and there is a cover that hides the area behind it. That would make it such that the hole to put the nut in behind could be hidden. I am guessing you are expecting it to be a single shoulder bolt mount.
041.jpg

That's the kind that was in my 79 F-100, I had it all apart so i know how it looks like and works. The 79 f-150 super cabs I had were all together different. They had a nut there that had the bracket bolted to and the belt slid though it. The retractor was bolted to the lower end next to the floor. I have a couple of sets of those belts I could use if I could secure that one part up there. I don't think it's there so I may just have to put it in or live with the lap belts which i don't like. ___But thanks, JIM

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I thought shoulder belts were standard starting in '77. Before that, laps only.

Doug - I'm surprised you got a '79 new without shoulder belts. I believe you - I'm just surprised.

I wonder if you could call one of the "nut rivet" manufacturers and find out the shear strength of a 3/8 or 1/2 inch nut rivet.
Put one or two of those in then you could use the Supercab belt.

I wonder if you could call one of the "nut rivet" manufacturers and find out the shear strength of a 3/8 or 1/2 inch nut rivet.
Put one or two of those in then you could use the Supercab belt.

That might be an idea to check out. If not i believe i have it figured out how to slip a plate that has the nut on it in , but there would have to be a little welding , mainly in the door jam area . Well it's something to do as i get it together, much to cold to even be in the shop now. Thanks for the idea. JIM

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I thought shoulder belts were standard starting in '77. Before that, laps only.

Doug - I'm surprised you got a '79 new without shoulder belts. I believe you - I'm just surprised.

Welp! That WAS 33 years ago. I didn't hardly use them, but I still seem to remember not having to mess with a shoulder harness. The '79 owner's manual also only lists instructions for a shoulder harness. I will have to dig up some pictures.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts