Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

should I use Lucas trans additive?

I'm going to do a transmission fluid and filter change on my 1994 F150 with E4OD.

Which fluid do I use? I've seen Mercon available but been reading on here about Mercon lll.

My main question is ....do you recommend using Lucas transmission additive?

My transmission has 175,000 miles on it and I have no problems at all with it. It shifts fine and smoothly. I don't know when the fluid and filter were changed last because I've only owned the truck for about 1000 miles so far. Jim

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I've never really heard much about this stuff so i cant help you on that but I tend to stray away from that stuff.
as to the fluid I would stick with what the dip stick says I believe its its just MERCON..
I've been running RPs Max atf in my c6 for awhile now it runs like a top..

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Unless the transmission has had regular service changing the fluid can cause slipping.
I have seen neglected transmissions slip many times after a fluid change.
As for the additives I avoid those if everything is working fine no need for them. the people that designed the transmission and the fluid knew what was needed for proper operation.
The only time I use snake oil in anything is when there is a problem and try it to see if it can last a little longer till I can get it repaired correctly.

thanks, I figured it might not be a good idea for an additive, but 3 guys at work swear by Lucas (one is a mechanic) and they claim it'll work wonders, and that it's good preventive maintanance.

I've tried to find stuff about Lucas on here, but not much talk that I can find.

Also I've read on here the same thing you're saying Randy about once you change the fluid and filter the tranny gives you problems. As I've said I have no idea how often the filter and fluid were changed before, although I know at least once since I can see the bolts have been removed before.

I have used Lucas tranny additive in my old gens 7&8, with a C6 and loved it, but never on anything AOD. Those are too fickle to mess with, IMO.
That being said, On a transmission with any kind of miles on it, you need to change the fluid, as changing the fluid and dropping the pan is about the only way to detect if you have some sort of trouble brewing- evidence would be present in the pan. once you change the fluid you need to run it for a short run and then adjust the bands.
Generally, the bands get slightly sloppy mostly due to the increased lubricity of the new fluid. the Ford A4LD trans has two bands that adjust: an overdrive and intermediate (2nd gear) band, older C-6 trannies have one. To adjust these, back off the jam nut, screw in the adjusting bolt to 10 foot pounds, then back off 1 3/4 turns. Tighten the jam nuts back up, taking care not to move the adjuster bolt, and you've done what any savvy transmission man can do, all by yourself!

rambler

New Shoes......
I have used lucas for a few of my rigs that have had high miles and it works good. on changing the fluid, I've heard from both sides on that, and I would say, just do what you think is best.

Lucas oil additive is also very good, I run that in my rigs with every oil change...

wizzard351

ride'n on 35's
wi
im another one that uses the lucas additive. after watching my buddys blazer sit in drive and not move he put in lucas and left it sit in drive,after about 15-20 min it started to go aross the field with no one in it.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I used it in my 1994 E4OD and noticed mild results, so I would recommend it. It smoothed things out just a hair, but enough to notice the difference. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Ryan

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Just changed the fluid and filter in my Bronco a little over a week ago, and added Lucas to it. It did seem to help some, like Ryan said. Not anything crazy, but enough to notice a difference.

(My fluid probably didn't need changing though, just the filter. my C6 is leaking about a quart every 2ish weeks. :headbang: )

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts