Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Should i change my plans.

Currently my 77 ford is my daily driver, the motor has issues, and i have plans to rebuild the 400 this winter.

My issue now is on the Left bank of the motor ( Looking at from the front ) I have a tapping noise i can hear it on cylinders 2 and 3 and the motor shakes and misses at idle. If i put the coal to it, it seams to still run strong and of course i cant hear the tap over other noise.

My question is should i change my plans and do a top end refresh now or try to hold out till i can do the full rebuild.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm not an engine expert, but it could be either carbon buildup on the valves or burnt valves.

A can of seafoam would help determine if it is just carbon buildup. Read the directions on the can. Some people use vacuum from the brake booster to suck the seafoam into the engine.

Time is my only issue, i can only put the truck down for no more then two days. Do yall think it would be better to find another 400 and build it and then swap them out?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you are on that kind of a time constraint, then yes.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Yes its the Frams Fault, Filters oil great. It dose not Filter out Motor Gremlins

Motorcraft..........LOL. 1 level below a Fram, and 10 times better then a STP filter.

It's called a anti drain back valve.. A lot of frams don't have em. And if they do they're junk. Which causes dry starts and in turn after years of this cause wear..

And bwhahahaha have you ever cut a fram open?

Here's a video for ya I watched about 3 years ago..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you have 2 days...find a drop in engine and build the other as time permits. If your luck is anything like mine, a 1-2 day project turns into a month long project in a hurry. Any clue if it's piston or spark knock, could be a sticky lifter too.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
That or get all your ducks in a row for a rebuild, rent a cheap car for a week and get it done. But as Ben said, sometimes the projects take a little longer than expected...or a lot longer.

If you have 2 days...find a drop in engine and build the other as time permits. If your luck is anything like mine, a 1-2 day project turns into a month long project in a hurry. Any clue if it's piston or spark knock, could be a sticky lifter too.

The only drop in motor i found is 460 for some reason there is allot of them here. I have no clue if its a spark knock, or lifter issue.

That or get all your ducks in a row for a rebuild, rent a cheap car for a week and get it done. But as Ben said, sometimes the projects take a little longer than expected...or a lot longer.

Renting a car, its a good idea.

This won't hurt, Get some pure synthetic oil, like Amsoil,the lightest grade you're comfortable with. About four filters, and do the oil change. Maybe even add a cleaning additive. Change the filter once a month and add what oil is needed to top it of.
If its stuck lifters it should clean it up. And get you to the winter when you were going to rebuild.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I have been using Fram for years. interesting video, but i will stick with fram.

I think you're the first person Ive ever met in my life that liked Fram.

Its been quite a few years ago now, Fram was bought out by a company named AlliedSignal. Ever since then, the cheap but acceptable quality Fram has become not that much cheaper than the competition, and extremely poor quality.

Purolator, Wix, and OEs like Motorcraft, ACDelco, or Mopar, depending on the brand of vehicle are the only filters I will use.

There are hundreds of videos and reports like the ones chris posted. Fram is consistently proven inferior...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts