Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

should i buy this truck?

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
i was recently going to work one day and i found a 1978 F-250 4wd with a 400M and a C-6. the guy told me even though it has a 3" lift it has never seen off road...he wants 3500 for it...should i buy it at his asking price or should i try and get him lower?[confused]

Not seeing it, it's kind of hard to for me to say.... What does the truck look like cosmetically (interior/exterior)? Tires? Mechanicals?

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
it runs, no dents,white with a blue interior,no rips in the interior and it looks all original, it has a np205 twin stick with a dana 44 up front and a ford 9" in the rear.the only thing its missing is the tail gate

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
it would be easier to fix that one up but i don't think i could ever sell my 77 because my granddad who past away recently helped me buy my truck...i was just wonderin if it would be a good buy at that price or should i try to jew him down?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
you never offer to buy for the original asking price.

For example, he might be hoping to get 3000 for it, so in anticipation of people giving him a lower offer, he has raised the asking price to compensate for that. someone now may offer him 3000, and he will say well... I was hoping to get 3500 but 3000 will be ok.

You think you got a good deal, and he got what he wanted for it originally.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
its hard to say. 3k sounds a lil high unless the truck runs like a bat outa hell. does it have a lot of rust.. if your locatied up north and it dont have a lot of rust it probably is worth 3k. but down here even if it runs great its probably no more than a 2k dollar truck. its all regional.

EDIT: from my memory i think you said you live in GA. if you do its not a 3k dollar truck probably. 2k would probably be a good starting point to haggle from. i would go tops 2500 but this is a blind guess without seeing or driving the truck.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Notice the words "For example" I didn't say it was worth 3000. :D

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
yes im from georgia and no it has no rust and the truck is very very strong...

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
not yet but i will post them in the next few days when i go by it again

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
its hard to say. 3k sounds a lil high unless the truck runs like a bat outa hell. does it have a lot of rust.. if your locatied up north and it dont have a lot of rust it probably is worth 3k. but down here even if it runs great its probably no more than a 2k dollar truck. its all regional.

EDIT: from my memory i think you said you live in GA. if you do its not a 3k dollar truck probably. 2k would probably be a good starting point to haggle from. i would go tops 2500 but this is a blind guess without seeing or driving the truck.

smiliewhathesaid I'd need more info, but $3500 sounds pretty strong for that truck. Like with all projects, you'll wind up spending a heckuva lot more than you planned by the time it's done.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts