Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

shes knockin bad

ok fellers i recently put a 4bbl on my 351m. the only thing i did different when installing was i used felpro cork rubber gaskets instead of a valley pan. now it knocks terribly when it gets warm. and in gear its sounding like its getting no oil at all. if you throttle it to about 1-1200 the knock goes away but then the lifters are tapping constantly. the only thing i can think of is it just so happened the oil pump is starting to go bad. i know it needs new rings because it smokes on start up ever since i have owned it. being about 6 monthes. if the oil pump is out then i will just park it and begin forkin out money for the 400 sitting on the stand

I have a good running 400 for sale.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well none of that should have caused a knock, but maybe instead of having the valley pan there to supress the noise, the noise has finally become audible. The only thinking that not running a valley pan shoul do is heat the oil up faster/more.

If the oil pump is bad, I don't see why you'd park it though, you can get a standard volume pump for $40.

drop the oil pan and clean/replace the screen, it's starving for oil
the crap that broke loose when you changed the intake is blocking the pickup
easy enough to change the oil pump then too if you want

well i was thinking that the screen could be a possibility. although when removed the intake the valley was very clean no sludge nada. parking it wouldne be a big deal for the time being, i have another truck i could drive and a car. and all that would need to be done to the 400 i have i cam crank rings and then throw it together. and i dont want to pay $40 for a new pump just to run it another month or 2 because i plan on using a new pump on the rebuild even if i bought on for the M. i may drop the pan and see if theres anything down there and if not since ill already be there i might change the pump. havent really decided

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts