Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Shackle flip

Ok I'm gunna lift up my 77 4 inches. I've got almost everything I need for the front lift, but nothing for the rear. My rear springs are still pretty strong. If I flipped the bracket for the shackle wouldn't that give me about 2-3 inches of lift?

My other question is, will flipping the shackle hinder my trucks ability to haul the weight it currently will haul?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The trick is to mount the shackle hanger at the right angle to where the shackle will still hinge and allow your suspension to spring. It'll give you about the same amount of lift as the shackle is long, I think.

Ryan

The trick is to mount the shackle hanger at the right angle to where the shackle will still hinge and allow your suspension to spring. It'll give you about the same amount of lift as the shackle is long, I think.

Ryan

Yeah i understand that. Im just wondering if having the shackle swing the other way will drastically affect my vehicles ability to haul weight

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Yeah i understand that. Im just wondering if having the shackle swing the other way will drastically affect my vehicles ability to haul weight

Dodge does it with their late model 2500/3500's, duallys included. [confused]

As long as the bracket is beefy (I used Sky Manufacturing) and the shackle is beefy (I used F450 shackles), IMO you'll be fine.

That being said, if you flip the stock rear hanger you'll hardly gain any lift and since they weren't designed to be used upside down they are pretty weak.

If you don't want to spend the cash on the Sky brackets (about $150), get a set of rear spring hangers that match the front hangers of your rear springs. That'll net you around 4-5"s of lift, and be much stronger. If you don't need that much lift, remove the stock 3"(?) block all together or add a shorter block to get your desired height.

Here's what my Sky brackets look like, beefy 3/8" and 1/4" steel construction.
IMG_2137.jpg

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
and that will allow me to use my old shackle? All i gotta do is remove old bracket, bolt this into the same holes, and bolt my shackle on?

The original shackles will work........but if you plan on working the truck with heavy loads I'd say you'll still need the 450 shackles. That's what I did, I figured if built strong enough was fine, then overbuilt was for me. I'll take no chances when it comes to safety.

..........but the 450 shackles bring in a different issue...............so it has come to this. I did a pic by pic on "that other site" of my flip, and here's where you can find it http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displayalbum.php?&userid=288656&albumid=32231

If you have any questions, be sure to ask!

Hmmm. in there is describes you having to shim to move the axle. Not looking to have to do that

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
It depends who you ask, but take it from someone who has done a shackle flip.

If you drop the rear of the spring 8+ inches, like you do in a shackle flip, you are essentially dropping the end of a hinge, and that in turn moves the center point of the hinge forward.

But don't dispare! It's easy to do, with these http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero Rates.htm

They allowed me to move the axle back to the center of the wheel well.

All it takes is $$$, and enough of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idk. once you add the new hangar, $159, and the shim, $45, and whatever the 450 shackle costs, im right back to prolly $250-$300 dollar range. The more i look at it, the more i realize the only way to lift my rear end up about 3" on the cheap is to add block. And i cant do that. ive got axle wrap problems as it is. Im thinkin about saying screw it and using these.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-23267-add-a-leaf-3-1973-79-long-pair.html

Its the cheaper option, it will help my axle wrap, and stiffen up the rear suspension, which is kinda what i wanna do anyways

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Idk. once you add the new hangar, $159, and the shim, $45, and whatever the 450 shackle costs, im right back to prolly $250-$300 dollar range. The more i look at it, the more i realize the only way to lift my rear end up about 3" on the cheap is to add block. And i cant do that. ive got axle wrap problems as it is. Im thinkin about saying screw it and using these.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-23267-add-a-leaf-3-1973-79-long-pair.html

Its the cheaper option, it will help my axle wrap, and stiffen up the rear suspension, which is kinda what i wanna do anyways

You're correct.....and good job on planning on doing it one of the right ways and not stacking blocks or running a 6" tall block.

For what you're after, add a leaves are probably the best option.............Just plan on a slightly stiffer ride.

EDIT.....BTW you're truck totaly remindes me of my dad's 77.......same color. It started my Ford love!

You're correct.....and good job on planning on doing it one of the right ways and not stacking blocks or running a 6" tall block.

For what you're after, add a leaves are probably the best option.............Just plan on a slightly stiffer ride.

The stiffer ride isnt an issue. Im used to it. I spent my younger years in either a 77 f350 with air bags aired up all the time, or more recently, the biggest lumber wagon ever created, a mid 90's dodge 1 ton. If i wanted a soft ride id get a car. lol. My favorite benifit of that add-a-leaf is its gunna reduce my axle wrap. ive got that really bad. And also ill be able to haul more, even though im lifting.

Thats something ive noticed: ive been shopping for leafs for a few months now, and everything i find in the lift world is labeled ezride, or something like that. Am i the only person on the planet that wants to lift, but retain the ability to handle weight?

On edit, i just saw your edit. This is by far my favorite ford color. One day ill do a restore on this truck and it will get painted the same color. lol

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts