Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Severe Hard Shifting

I have a 78 f150, 3 speed automatic, with a 302. My problem is when I shift from park to any gear, I get a mean kick, Reverse feels like I dropped 3 inches and Drive up 3 inches. Also while driving, my shift to 2nd and 3rd kick mean. Trying to figure what causes that.

Thanks,
Justin Hill

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
U-joints and rear end ok?

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Could be differential, or U joints(slop), or could be rebuild time. Hesitation between putting truck in gear, and having the truck move, is an indication of tranny rebuild time.

Fellro

Staff member
Check motor mounts and trans mount. Plus, please define "kick", as in shift hard, or like someone hit the floor pan...

Initially is a high idle. When warmed up, idle drops. it's not much of a drop. When cold, the shift to reverse is rough, like a thud, and drops. 2nd gear shift hard. 3rd just follows not as hard.

Fellro

Staff member
It'll kick pretty good with a high idle, but doesn't explain the later shifts. Vacuum leaks would explain both... especially if it is the vacuum hose to the transmission vacuum modulator.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts