Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Seriously wish one of you lived closer....

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Someone who has the interest or "love" of these old trucks. Got the truck back yesterday and it seems to run ok but I do wish one of you lived closer.

Mechanic claims he had to go thru several aftermarket parts that I can't remember what they are but they fit on the "spindle". Seems when he would press them on, the would either rub on some part of the 4 wheel drive? or the clip would pop off. Stated he had to go to the junk yard and get another spindle for $100.

after 8 weeks to the day, I have my truck back....with modifications. I noticed it as soon as I pulled in. Either he backed the truck into something or someone took, what looks like, a flat head screwdriver and pounded it into the tailgate panel, dead center, repeatedly. There is also quite a bit of residue from something rubbing on it down the drivers side and might be able to get that out. There is a huge crunch on passenger rear panel just before the tailgate. I'm pissed but I didn't have pictures of the tailgate before I took it to him. The body being straight is one of the reasons I bought the truck in the first place. Now I get to add a new panel to the list of purchases.

Taking a day off today, while weather holds, and putting in the new carpeting, seats, interior molding etc back in. Bought new wipers and locking gas caps last night.

All I want is a nice running truck that I can grin about. I'm jealous of all the pictures I see here.

Fellro

Staff member
Did he end up doing ball joints? That is the only thing I can think of that could be a rub point and require pressing in... Have had some customers complain of similar, so most likely is what the problem was. I sure hope that you finally get the truck to be how you want it. I am afraid a lot more has been done than really was needed to be, but that is neither here nor there now. Sucks that they managed to tear up a no damage truck, those can be hard to find. Depends on the dent as to whether it can be salvaged without panel replacement.

BTW, it sure does look sharp in that pic!

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
at this point in time....there is nothing I can do. I have the truck and spent the day yesterday putting it all back together.

I did check with the junk yard, spindles are $50, so he either marked it up or charged me 1/2 hr for labor going there, finding a truck, removing it etc. If that's the case, it was cheap for $50.

I've learned several things with this truck.

1) always take pictures before dropping off vehicle. Even if they say it's a 2 day job...you never know. Something might happen to their shop, might get stolen...whatever....take pictures.

2) Even if they're the bosses friend...do not pay all money up front. You've lost serious bargaining power.

3) Don't buy a truck that has sat for over a year...no matter how good a deal unless you're willing to invest some serious $$

List of work second mechanic did to it:

Upper ball joints (2) $161.90
Lower ball joints (2) $163.92
Tierod ends (2) $197.48
Drag link (?) $212.73
Master cylinder $61.99
Axle U joints (2) $73.40
Inner bearing (2) 20.22
Thermostat $16.99
Used spindle $100
Front brake rotors (2) $117.98
Front pads (2) 54.99
Ignition switch $46.99
Alignment $60.00
Transmission service (not flushed) $99.99
Rear & Front diff. service $139.99
Flush hydrolics $49.99
Labor $1850.00

Total $3,428 and change

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
Did he end up doing ball joints? That is the only thing I can think of that could be a rub point and require pressing in... Have had some customers complain of similar, so most likely is what the problem was. I sure hope that you finally get the truck to be how you want it. I am afraid a lot more has been done than really was needed to be, but that is neither here nor there now. Sucks that they managed to tear up a no damage truck, those can be hard to find. Depends on the dent as to whether it can be salvaged without panel replacement.

BTW, it sure does look sharp in that pic!

Thank you!
I did check at the same junk yard yesterday, they're quoting $35 for a chrome tailgate insert panel so I'm feeling a bit better. On the bright side there has been reports (on the news) of people stealing tailgates and panels....guess they won't be wanting mine now... =)

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
We'll be jealous too of your ride !! :) You will find that some people think that just because the truck isn't new, they treat it like crap. I hate that ! We ALL put our hard earned money into our trucks !

cheers,
Roy smilieFordlogo

Thanks! That is why I'm taking this better than before. Everyone here knows what their truck is worth on the open market, but they still keep putting money into it because they love the truck. Guess I'm one of you now??? smilieFordlogo

btw...this beast needs a name too

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
DSCN2907-1.jpg

This is when I was already into it. Thought I'd better stop and take a picture.

DSCN2910-1.jpg

Front done.

DSCN2912-1.jpg

console turned out niiiiiiiiice!!!!

DSCN2908-1.jpg

tailgate panel damage

DSCN2909-1.jpg

passenger side damage

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
at this point in time....there is nothing I can do. I have the truck and spent the day yesterday putting it all back together.

I did check with the junk yard, spindles are $50, so he either marked it up or charged me 1/2 hr for labor going there, finding a truck, removing it etc. If that's the case, it was cheap for $50.

I've learned several things with this truck.

1) always take pictures before dropping off vehicle. Even if they say it's a 2 day job...you never know. Something might happen to their shop, might get stolen...whatever....take pictures.

2) Even if they're the bosses friend...do not pay all money up front. You've lost serious bargaining power.

3) Don't buy a truck that has sat for over a year...no matter how good a deal unless you're willing to invest some serious $$

List of work second mechanic did to it:

Upper ball joints (2) $161.90
Lower ball joints (2) $163.92
Tierod ends (2) $197.48
Drag link (?) $212.73
Master cylinder $61.99
Axle U joints (2) $73.40
Inner bearing (2) 20.22
Thermostat $16.99
Used spindle $100
Front brake rotors (2) $117.98
Front pads (2) 54.99
Ignition switch $46.99
Alignment $60.00
Transmission service (not flushed) $99.99
Rear & Front diff. service $139.99
Flush hydrolics $49.99
Labor $1850.00

Total $3,428 and change

i dont know about everyone else but those are some VERY SERIOUS PRICES! my family discount would been like 200 or less man....

boysmomoflabs

completely ignorant~
i dont know about everyone else but those are some VERY SERIOUS PRICES! my family discount would been like 200 or less man....

and hence the reason for thread title...

I did wonder if it's because of the area I live in, we're pretty expensive up here so I just called the local auto parts store.

retail on Moog upper ball joints is $53.99, so it looks like he marked up all his pricing 100%.

Lesson #4) buy your own parts and take to mechanics.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
and hence the reason for thread title...

I did wonder if it's because of the area I live in, we're pretty expensive up here so I just called the local auto parts store.

retail on Moog upper ball joints is $53.99, so it looks like he marked up all his pricing 100%.

Lesson #4) buy your own parts and take to mechanics.

same price down here in utah for them moogs upper ball joints. lesson 4 is a good one except not too many shop mechanics would take your parts incase its defective and their stuck with the problem. only time i take my truck to the local shop is to have an a toe-in, wheel balance and inspection. and the occasional tire to rim mounting if i dont feel like doing myself that is

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
Id say buy some service manuals, Chilton, hayes any repair manual you can get your hands on and learn how to do repairs yourself. It'll be more work but you wont get screwed over

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts