Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Seat options for '79

I searched this forum but did not find an answer to this. I want to change out my truck's bench seat for either buckets with console or something like a split bench with fold-down center. What are some options on my '79 regular cab F-150 4x4? Ideas for installation are welcome too!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My understanding is that seats up to 96 (or 97 F350) will work, you need to take the tracks from the donor vehicle as well. I don't think the buckets/console from a Bronco will work.

Actually you install the newer seat on the floor mounted part of the 79 seat tracks

you could get a seat out of like a 92-96 xlt or lariat with the wood grain fold down console. all you'd have to do is swap tracks.

Nothing about bucket seats and console from a 96 fit into my 79. Had to make brackets and remove part of the track to make them work.

* * HTC Incredible / Forum Runner * *

Nothing about bucket seats and console from a 96 fit into my 79. Had to make brackets and remove part of the track to make them work.

I hear tht, but if he was to get a seat like i was talking about in a bench seat, he'd just have to swap tracks.

Evan's f250 said:
I hear tht, but if he was to get a seat like i was talking about in a bench seat, he'd just have to swap tracks.

OP stated possibly buckets or bench, just saying the buckets are a lot of fab. Newer bench will only take a few minutes to swap out.

OP stated possibly buckets or bench, just saying the buckets are a lot of fab. Newer bench will only take a few minutes to swap out.

yep, i can only imagine...

Thanks all. The Bronco Graveyard folks say that the '78 '79 Bronco buckets will fit if I drill holes in my '79 F-150 regular cab. Can anyone confirm this? I still haven't decided between the buckets / console and a '92-'96 split bench.

Thanks all. The Bronco Graveyard folks say that the '78 '79 Bronco buckets will fit if I drill holes in my '79 F-150 regular cab. Can anyone confirm this? I still haven't decided between the buckets / console and a '92-'96 split bench.

well ya, pretty much anything will fit in there if you drill holes. lol

IIRC you also have to bolster the bottom tracks because of the different floor pan.
I've never had that close of a look because the Broncos are usually where I'm not................. out in the bush working

I tried 78-79 bronco buckets in my 79 f150. Not even close. Floor pans are different as Mil1ion sated above.
The set I got were lowback and the passenger seat is in fixed position, and would only hinge up and forward towards the dash for access to the back. So with the amount of work it would have taken I went with newer and much nicer set.

The deciding factor here is how much fab are you willing to do? Do you weld, can your truck be down for the time it will take to complete?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts