Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Russell Speed Bleeders

Gonna need brakes before a long planned haul with my camper (heavy)attached to my 40,000+ mile '06 F350 SRW and want to install Speed Bleeders in the calipers at the same time. Russell lists a p/n 639590 for front and rears which is a 3/8-24x1. This scares me a bit as almost everything else on this beast is metric (and in fact the '99-'04 Ford bleeders were 10mm) :headbang:
Any insight??

andym

Real men are fanatics
Some bleeders are metric, some are standard. I've taken metric ones off and the replacements came with standard, and vice versa.

As long as the threads match, I wouldn't worry about whether the head is metric or standard.

Some bleeders are metric, some are standard. I've taken metric ones off and the replacements came with standard, and vice versa.

As long as the threads match, I wouldn't worry about whether the head is metric or standard.

Andy,
I'm not worried about the wrench head sizes - it's the threads that are the problem, 10-1 mm vs 3/8-24, and what are the '06s[confused] .

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
you could go get a round of bolts from the hardware store and see which one fits it... That's my roundabout way of doing it. There's probably an easier way.

Ryan

you could go get a round of bolts from the hardware store and see which one fits it... That's my roundabout way of doing it. There's probably an easier way.

Ryan

I do that all the time but that means I have to find someone to help me bleed the brakes BEFORE I order the bleeders - i.e. 2X the work - and since I'm lazy........:horrormovie: :rolling laugh: .

I guess I'll just call Russell/Edelbrock for confirmation

bobf100

Dave - the timing of this thread was great as I'm just finishing up the rebuild on the front suspension of my 1957 project phone truck. Got brand new wheel cylinders that I intend to change out to one man speed bleeders. Found that they are 10mm - 1.0 thread which surprised me. I guess most of our replacement parts are being manufactured overseas. I've got speed bleeders installed on my 56 F100 and they work great. Keeps Mrs F100 happy because she doesn't have to help me bleed the brakes. Keeps me happy by keeping her out of my garage.... :nana:

Dave - the timing of this thread was great as I'm just finishing up the rebuild on the front suspension of my 1957 project phone truck. Got brand new wheel cylinders that I intend to change out to one man speed bleeders. Found that they are 10mm - 1.0 thread which surprised me. I guess most of our replacement parts are being manufactured overseas. I've got speed bleeders installed on my 56 F100 and they work great. Keeps Mrs F100 happy because she doesn't have to help me bleed the brakes. Keeps me happy by keeping her out of my garage.... :nana:

Bob - In the 2+ months that I've owned this truck I have found that there is NOTHING standard or similar to earlier versions. Evidently Ford had a "better idea" and made a lot of changes to the '05 and later from the 3 valve, fly by wire V10, IFS, brakes exhaust just to name a few that come to mind. I've talked to vendors of various parts and pieces about such things as programmers and exhaust mods and get the same kind of answers such as "our Kick A$$ programmer will work - that is all but the transmission shift mods and the power mods. You might have a problem with tire size changes as well". The exhaust guys answer is that "sure our muffler will fit - but you might have to add an intermediate section to fit it up to your cat-back". But then I have a relatively rare but reliable V10 rather then an always in the shop for a new turbo or injectors PSD.

I've scanned a couple of pages from the paper '07 Russell catalog as their on-line version is not current. I have been told that these p/n for the '05 and on are not correct and was looking for someone that has had experience with a change out.

Attachments

• Speedbleeders11.jpg
  • Speedbleeders22.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts